Burd, Clapham road on a Giant Escape mini

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
What gear inch do you ride?

Seriously!? I was rocking 24mph when I started trying to catch you and there you were on the drops (chapeau) and I couldn't gain any ground. I began sprinting and continually looking at you and my climbing speedometer in bewildered-disbelief and fear.

"Oh no!" I could be heard saying.

You couldn't hear that of course, you were too far ahead of me.

What are you made out of, steel, hatred and thunder!?

Anyway she RLJ'd, but that's OK. I had to too just to catch her and ask if her bike folded. It doesn't and she managed to reply without any hint that she needed to catch her breath. Then she accelerated, beat me to the lights, which shamefully I had to stop at (I deserve to lose a D). And I only caught her again because she stopped at another set of lights about a quarter-mile down the road. She went left, I went on with my commute. Broken and a little fearful that I got my first hint of old age.

I blame the ash cloud.

giant-escape-mini-1-city-bike-42884.jpg
Giant Escape mini. It doesn't fold

The epitome of 'Female MTFU'
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    cough***poof***cough

sorry, terrible cough, it's the ash cloud!!!! :D
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    These are cool. The Japanese love them - I think they are categorized as "Mini Velos".

See also the Dahon Hammerhead: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... d-70-10796

JE James/Winstanleys were selling off the Giant for cheap at one stage - regret not buying one. Good for city riding too with the small wheels and the quick acceleration.

In fact, I picked up my Hammerhead from Winstanleys for about £300 and they were doing the mini at the same price.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At this rate DDD will not even be D anymore but ........

Not sure I'd like to ride that on my commute, looks a bit short on wheelbase!

Was in London on Sunday, maybe it was the same Lady I followed down past Harrods on an SS (or Fixie) with a bloke on a similar bike, they were motoring, I'd driven down and no way could I pass safely so I sat behind at about 27-28mph.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Burd = chap with a pony tail?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

E minus?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not the one I was following..........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I don't get that bike.

If it folded I'd get it it, but why design such an odd looking thing if it doesn't fold?

Long suspected that DDD was all hot air and no trousers, and now he has confessed that he it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Some burds are fast. Just accept it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    kelsen wrote:

Peregrine Falcons.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Asprilla wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Peregrine Falcons.

That'd be a great name for an all-girl cycling club

Peregrine Falcons = Fast Birds
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or an all male one could be the 'Dirty Bustards"?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Ludicrous bike, ludicrous way to try and get laid.

D - Must try harder.
  • DonDaddyD
    I wasn't trying to get laid. Who do you think I am Ryan Giggs? Or worse, Hambones! :wink:

Anywho, between this, the girl on the Specialized Dolce (with carbon seatstays) and that London Dynamo Amazonian Sun God in Liverpool street lofted atop a red Mercx bike - seriously, with thighs and speed like her's she could pull the Sun across the sky - I honestly think 'gurls' are trying to take over SCR...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    DDD you are a massive purv.
  • DonDaddyD
    'Purv'!?

I'm just very observent M'lord, honest!
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    please start a thread with a map and markers for all of your "sightings"
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I wasn't trying to get laid. Who do you think I am Ryan Giggs? Or worse, Hambones! :wink:

Anywho, between this, the girl on the Specialized Dolce (with carbon seatstays) and that London Dynamo Amazonian Sun God in Liverpool street lofted atop a red Mercx bike - seriously, with thighs and speed like her's she could pull the Sun across the sky - I honestly think 'gurls' are trying to take over SCR...

the mention of the seatstays :lol::lol:
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    t4tomo wrote:
    I don't get that bike.

If it folded I'd get it it, but why design such an odd looking thing if it doesn't fold?

Short wheelbase means it is nippy and manouverable. Small wheels mean they are stronger, smaller size means it is easier to stash it/transport it, much smaller package all round.

Dahon mini-velos fold flat so can be easily stashed under a bed - they also had the ability to lock jaw them into half which was pretty cool. No-one imported the newer ones into the UK (fudges were thinking about it).

I'm all about the bike :oops:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not even D - just "I" - he can't even claim the curved bit of the one D he has left.........
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I wasn't trying to get laid.

No point trying - you weren't fast enough :lol:
    Maybe it's just that when Burds see DDD (or "I") behind them, they naturally find a turn of speed........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whatever dude. "Hey baby; what gear inch do you use?" :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

OMFG! It's "What gear inch do you TAKE!?"

Jeez get it right.... :roll:

Food Chain number = 4

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    bails87 wrote:

E minus?

Love it!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

OMFG! It's "What gear inch do you TAKE!?"

Jeez get it right.... :roll:

not "How many"?
  • DonDaddyD
    You may have a point....
    Food Chain number = 4

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    FCN -200