Morzine / Passport Es Du Soleil

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited August 2011 in MTB general
I'm going to Morzine at the end of June and have a few questions.

I'm a roadie really with a bit of an MTB past, but I'm going with my Dad who is pretty bad on an MTB. We're going with Alpine elements, and included we get 4 days bike hire. Bikes are Kona Fire Mountain 2011 and as its the start of the season hopefully they'll be in good nick.

I've seen that Passport Es Du Soleil is on this week, and it looks pretty cool. Has anyone done this before? How hard core is it? Will we be ok with these hire bikes and a lack of MTB experience?

http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/index.jsp?c=65998
http://media.skiinfo.com/images/dppic/f353636.pdf?c=42

Any other Morzine related advice for our holiday would be great, where to ride, what to do off the bike, etc. We are going with the women so wont be allowed to ride all week.

What will the weather be like?

Is everything really expensive there?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    sorry, can't comment on the bikes or that ride, but if you end up in Bar Robinson for a Mutzig or two, either stick to that number or don't plan on riding the next morning!

As for the weather, can change daily but i reckon you're there long enough to get a good few days riding
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hiya :D

I'm of to Morzine for a week in mid-July. I've never been before but from what i've been told it has a good mix of cross country and DH trails, not quite as mad as other resorts (Verbier for example, where I went a few years ago).

As for what else there is to do, i'm afraid I don't know. I intend to riding every day 8)

Have fun!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I've been to Morzine a couple of times but not managed to catch the Passporte du soleil (although the signage was still out on the trail last time).

IIRC the passporte gives you cheap passes for all the lifts around the area, so well worth signing up for. It's not particularly hardcore but the terrain is physically demanding being the Alps n all and the same goes for the weather it's extremely changeable so take plenty of layers and some wet weather gear too, oh and spares take lots of spares! (tubes, brake pads, tyres, chains etc...) the prices out there are quite steep.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • milese
    Thanks for the replies.

I've convinced the wife that she will be able to so some sun bathing there, that it will be like a beach holiday but with mountains and lakes instead of the sea. Is she going to be angry with me? The current weather is 26 degs and sunny!

What do people usually do with hire bikes? Take your own shoes and pedals? Will I give it back at night or store it in the chalet? Just wondering if I could also take some slicks and get out on the road with it as well.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    most places are quite relaxed we've found. You can either return them at the end of the day or keep hold of them if you have secure storage at your Chalet. I wouldn't take your own pedals unless you're really fussed.

As for the wife, there's a decent outside pool she can chill out by weather permitting!
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    When the weather is good it is an awesome place, I remember sitting next to Lac Montriond for hours one hot sunny afternoon not sure you'll get away with the beach holiday comparison though :)
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • sara flowmtb
    sara flowmtb Posts: 118
    For the Pass'Portes there are easy and difficult choices. If you stick to the easier routes it's not too technically challenging. There may be sections you find tough and want to walk, but they should be short. You can also cut the ride short. Have a look at the map, chat to the guys running your chalet and you'll see where you can cut it short if you are tired. It's a long day out if you are not used to being on the bikes all day!

As for your wife it's luck more than anything! If it's sunny it is amazing here (not that i'm biased;) ), in bad weather less so. She can chill out by the pool or lake - lac montriond is gorgeous and you can whizz down there after a day on the bikes to catch her. The town is lovely and there are great walks - pop into the Tourist Office for the free walking guide. Make sure you are staying with someone registered for the Multi Pass (pretty much all hotels are). That means that for €1 per day she can use the lifts to go walking, the pool, tennis etc etc and you can get all that added free to your MTB pass.

If you use spds take your pedals, otherwise it will come with flats.

Other stuff...fantasticable in Chatel is great, your wife might love a trip to the spa at Val d'Illiez (and if she does stop in Abondance to visit the Abbey on the way) or even go as far as Lavey les Bains.

Have fun!
  • milese
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sara, we get the mutlipass.

I see you hire road bikes, but the size I'd need is out of stock for the week I am over. Does anyone else hire out road bikes in the area? Will need 2 bikes for people 5' 8" tall.

Any other recommendations or info will be much appreciated!
  • sara flowmtb
    There are not many other shops doing road bikes. You could try Morzn'a sports, I think they have a couple, or DSV might, or just take a wander round while you're out.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    If you do hire a bike and it's from a French company remember they have their brakes around the other way than here in the UK. I'd guess they'd be happy to swap them round for you but if not (or you forget as we did) budget 10 minutes with a multi tool.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • sara flowmtb
    They should check how you want the brakes before you leave the shop, as there are so many Brits hiring out here. We always get it in advance so we can set up the brakes correctly before, but Steve is right some shops may forget when they're busy. And it's not something you want to discover in the middle of a techy descent!
  • milese
    Thanks.

Quick question, will a hire mtb have bottle cages or will i need a camelbak?
  • sara flowmtb
    I've not seen any out here with bottle cages, they're usually only on the road bikes. Bring your camelbak.
  • milese
    Thanks. What will the weather be like next week?

All of the online forecasts seem conflicting, with more focus on snow than anything else!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I was out there for about 10 days last July, it was roughly 33 to 36 degrees C most days! We'll be there again but for 3 weeks this time from the start of July. Plan on pretty hot weather, but take at least one piece of versatile clothing just in case (like a fleece).

It was way hotter than I was expecting when we went!

I found these guys on Twitter, probably a good local contact, they do road and MTB hire and seem friendly (they also have a UK shop) http://www.toricomorzine.com/bikehire/
  • sara flowmtb
    Thanks Dodgy :)
    Impossible to say what the weather will be more than a couple of days in advance!
    Guy (who runs flowmtb and Torico Morzine) made this little site with an amalgamation of the better local forecasts. http://weather.itsnotallwork.com/

Come prepared for everything!
  • dodgy
    Hi Sara,

So when I was there in July 2010, was that considered exceptionally hot? We were talking to locals in the bars of Verchaix (where we stay) and they said it was normal :?:
    It was just stinking hot for 10 solid days.

We get there on the 3rd July, I'll be riding over the Joux Plane most mornings, so might descend over the other side and say hi :)
  • Ive just finished messing around with a video that features riding from this week.

Check it out.

http://gogogoftw.blogspot.com/2011/06/m ... l?spref=tw

Cheers
  • sara flowmtb
    The trouble is there is nothing really normal. Generally it is very hot, but you do get the odd rainy week and it is common to get one or two evenign storms in a week. It's just that the weather is unreliable. Usually hot and sunny, but not always.
  • dodgy
    No problem with evening storms, love sitting out on the deck of the (rented) Chalet we stay in and watching them 8)
  • milese
    I did Passports Du Soleil on Saturday and had a great time. I wanted to do it on my hired Kona Fire Mountain, but Alpine Elements told me I cant as the runs are too high a grade. So I hired a Giant Force that dealt with it much better.

Mountain biking in this area is nothing like being at home, its a lazy (or downhill crazed) riders paradise!

My Garmin trace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95069972

SDC12905.jpg
    SDC12897.jpg
    SDC12883.jpg
    SDC12866.jpg
    SDC12860.jpg
    SDC12856.jpg
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Thanks for that post :)