9mm Quick release axles

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
A mates front hub bearings have died and he wants me to rebuild the wheel with a shiny new red SuperStar EVO hub. These hubs can be fitted with 9mm axles, are these 9mm jobs worth it do they stiffen up the fork and are they easy to remove the front wheel.

Anyone used one and whats your thoughts.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Thought 9 mm was just a normal QR ?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    anjs wrote:
    Me to.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It act's as a QR so it is as easy to use as a normal QR and yes it does stiffen the fork up a bit, don't expect miracles though, it only stiffens the fork up a bit and I find it's only noticeable on harder/rougher ground like black routes and some red routes. It still isn't as good as a maxle or a QR15 etc. but it is a good compromise if you can't afford a new fork and are sensitive to flexy forks
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No, the QR is less than 9mm, but the axle (the bit of the hub that sits in the dropouts) is 9mm.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stubs wrote:
    A mates front hub bearings have died and he wants me to rebuild the wheel with a shiny new red SuperStar EVO hub. These hubs can be fitted with 9mm axles, are these 9mm jobs worth it do they stiffen up the fork and are they easy to remove the front wheel.

Anyone used one and whats your thoughts.

so this is like the old Spesh Stout hubs where the axle is the Qr.

they should stiffen up the fork a bit, but i have never seen the point.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    anjs wrote:

It will be a 9mm bolt through that is threaded and you have to unscrew to release from the dropout
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    omegas wrote:
    anjs wrote:

It will be a 9mm bolt through that is threaded and you have to unscrew to release from the dropout

Nope. Just flip the lever like a regular QR.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • omegas
    I have a 9mm bolt through that unscrews with a push button to set the lever in the correct position , its a Spech not Evo hub
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I have the 9mm bolt through superstar axle in a hope pro 2 hub. It does make a small difference to stiffness but I'm a heavy bloke so can probably tell more than most. Removing and re-fitting the wheel is slightly more of a faff as they don't have the springs to centralise the axle like a qr does. To get the wheel out you have to undo the qr, back off the nut and then push the axle back through the drop-out to centralise it before lifting the fork off. Same when re-fitting, you have to centralise the axle before you drop the wheel on.

If you're buying a new hub and it comes supplied then I'd go for it. It probably isn't worth the faff of upgrading to though.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I've got a DT Swiss RWS 9 mm skewer (with Pro II hub). It is a bit stiffer than the QR it replaced, but I'm not sure it was worth the money - Superstar axle will be a lot cheaper.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want stiff fit a 9mm solid cromo axle and nuts. if it fits ;-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    omegas wrote:
    I have a 9mm bolt through that unscrews with a push button to set the lever in the correct position , its a Spech not Evo hub

nope that is a 9mm Qr. or DT RWS system.

you still have Qr drop outs. a through axle goes through the fork or frame (Ok there is the odd exception) but the RWS type id designed for Qr drop outs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    The DT Swiss RWS works well if used in conjunction with the Spesh OS hub endcaps, but on it's own isn't a massive improvement over a normal QR.
  • omegas
    nicklouse wrote:
    omegas wrote:

nope that is a 9mm Qr. or DT RWS system.

you still have Qr drop outs. a through axle goes through the fork or frame (Ok there is the odd exception) but the RWS type id designed for Qr drop outs.

Thanks nicklouse so it’s a DT RWS., if I need to replace the wheel I can replace with a standard QR hub ? The alloy nipples keep breaking one at a time every few weeks so I replace with a new one and re-align the wheel (or I might end up replacing all the nipples)
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    I changed my pro II hub to 9 mm on thefront and 10mm on the back. There just qr skewers from superstar. Standard qr is 3mm . I did need to buy a conversion kit though for the hubs. As a 9mm axle will not go through a 3mm hole :D

Crc have them too there fire eye skewers cheap too. Intact there the same as superstar ones cos I have one of each
  • gpax
    gpax Posts: 3
    Im looking at some forks with a 9mm axle but was wondering if i would be able to use my standard 9mm qr on these forks instead ?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I have a Superstar 9mm through axle on the 'hopper as I ordered the EVO hub with the wrong adapter. Weighs a lot more than a standard QR, gives the feeling that it's stiffer - don't know how true this is though. A bit easier to do up and like I say just feels a bit more substantial.

The Rockhopper is bang on 12kg and it's quite nice to know I could drop that to 11.5kg at any time by getting rid of the Reverb and the silly 9mm through-axle. That's all
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8