Damn the P******* fairy

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
she struck me down yesterday, unfolded and went to set off in the evening and it was as flat as pancake.

Weird one actualy it was on the inside of the tube, just a single not a pinch/snake bite (i'd just pumped upto 100psi in the morning) and rim tape all seemed in order and no obvious rough bits. I reckon it was probably old age as the tube must be at least 5 years old. I popped a bit of extra tape over the rim tape, talced up and popped a new tube in when I got home.

Sod's law it was the rear (on a Brompton). Statistically the rear tyre on a Brompton is 63% more likely to be hit by the p******** fairy than the front.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Came to the bike on Monday morning to find the back tyre as flat as a pancake myself.

Swapped the tube out and when I checked it, the valve seat had split for about 1/2 of the perimeter! :shock:

I have NO idea how the hell this happened - unless I over-tightened the valve screw and pulled it through :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    After maybe a year without any, I had one on the front early last week, one on the back late last week, and yesterday discovered a slow leak in the new one on the back. Replaced it this morning, but such is the spell of the slow leak fairy that every imperfection in the road had me thinking "Did that feel soft? That felt soft, I'll take a look. No, it's OK. Wait, did that feel soft?"

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    She's been busy. Monday am: rear tyre pancake flat as I leave the house. Remove it and check the inside of the tyre to find what feels like a thin wire poking inwards. No obvious point of entry on the outside though, so I assume it has worked its way in. Poke around and I seem to have got it out. New inner, pump up good to go and good to come home.

Tuesday am: rear tyre pancake flat as I leave the house. Fcuk it - swap bikes and worry about it tonight. Now suspect the thin wire is from the the tyre itself -> bin the tyre.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • t4tomo
    when its something that thin Greg it could have worked its way in but you can't see the entry and there could be more bits in there if you are unlucky, or indeed be the tyre itself with more to come.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    You do know p*******s are caused by opening threads about the p*******e fairy.

Goddamit!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Posting in this thread guarantees a visit from the PF
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    It really annoys me when people won't just write puncture but censor it like it's a dirty word. Writing the word puncture won't make you any more or less likely to get a puncture. Puncture puncture puncture...

PUNCTURE!!!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    t4tomo wrote:
    I reckon it was probably old age as the tube must be at least 5 years old.

Lol! I've got inner tubes that are at least 20 years old. No more puncture prone as far as I can see than new ones. Certainly 5 years old is nothing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    pst88 you do realise that Voldemort will now stupify you?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    pst88 wrote:
    It really annoys me when people won't just write puncture but censor it like it's a dirty word. Writing the word puncture won't make you any more or less likely to get a puncture. Puncture puncture puncture...

PUNCTURE!!!
    You just booked yourself 6 visits.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.