Manchester city centre route advice

Agent57
Agent57 Posts: 2,300
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I've been offered a new job. \o/ It will involve commuting by train, as Manchester's too far to cycle. At the Manchester end, I'll be travelling from Oxford Road station, to MediaCityUK on Salford Quays. My plan was to buy a folder and cycle the 2 or 3 miles at the work end.

I mentioned this to a friend, and his reaction was "good luck". Apparently, the Mancunian Way and Regent Road aren't particularly bike-friendly.

Now, I'm a very confident rider in traffic. I've been mixing it with cages for more than 30 years. So, if my friend being pessimistic and paranoid, or should I rethink my strategy? (I can probably find a slightly quieter - possibly longer - route, too, I assume).
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

Comments

• kamiokande
    kamiokande Posts: 55
    Have you considered the canal towpath? I've never cycled that stretch but i think it leads to Salford Quays. If you come out of Oxford Rd. Station and head to the other side of Sainsburys, there are some steps down to the canal there.
  • Agent57
    kamiokande wrote:
    Have you considered the canal towpath?

Nope; I'm not local (or even a frequent visitor), so I don't know of such things. =) If there is a route along the canal, I'll certainly consider that - I guess it also depends if there's a suitable bridge nearby, too.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Manc way is off limits to cyclists (AFAIK) as it's Motorway designated. Regent's Road is busy but shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're confident. I'd be inclined to access Regent's Road via Water Street so look up the route to there from the Station (left from the station past the Ritz, and then a right onto Albion Street and a left onto Liverpool Road which will take you down to Water Street). Misses out the Manc Way.

Think the link is: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source ... iaCity+(UK))&hl=en&geocode=FfbyLwMdgMjd_ylndV2567F7SDH3Nl0L8goSZg%3BFSj7LwMdEKDd_ynrRmiV57F7SDEgnZTWnvkMEw%3BFTLuLwMd4PHc_yGfv7oDyiQoTw&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=53.472467,-2.256188&sspn=0.012414,0.038581&ie=UTF8&ll=53.472978,-2.275372&spn=0.024828,0.077162&z=14 unsure whether the final destination on there is where you'd be working though.

HTH, and that the link works!
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Hmmm... link not too good.

Google.co.uk/maps

Start: Oxford Road Station Approach
    Via: Water St/A6143
    Destination: Quay West, Trafford Wharf Road, Trafford Park, Manchester M17 1HH (MediaCity (UK))

Should give you the same route.
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Mancunian way is a motorway and not for cycles. Regent Road is do'able but very busy and not easily got directly onto, it will have you stop starting or pavement riding through sheer weight f cars and wouldn't be my choice.

You'll be at least as fast and a hell of a lot quieter vs cars to go Chaster Road and get into the Quays at White City.

Deansgate Station - Left onto A56 Chester Road (Atlas bar) - use the decent cycle lane to flyover the Manc Way - bear left to stay on Chester Road (BMW dealers) and continue down here - Right onto White City Way (just past GMP Force HQ) and over the White City roundabout onto the Quays - over the bridge onto Trafford Road - left at the lights beside Chiquitos and follow the road round the quay & past the Lowry to Media City.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Route B shows you staying on the A56 Bridgewater Way. Personally I wouldn't on a bike. its a straight suddenly fast bit of road with no bike provision and not a lot of room to pass. You also hit the TL managed White City Way roundabout an entry sooner and have to do 3/4 of it rather than go straight across it from White City Way.

If you do jump off at Oxford Road station (easier to get out of with a bike), its left at the bottom of the ramp, straight along Whitworth Street West about 1/2 a mile to Deansgate station and follow the above directions. In this bit you go past Harry Halls, so have a top notch LBS bang on your ride.
  • Agent57
    Thanks very much for the advice. Just need to buy a folder now. n+1 \o/
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Agent57 wrote:
    Thanks very much for the advice. Just need to buy a folder now. n+1 \o/
    oh yeah, good point, forgot to mention Harry Halls is a Brommy dealer with a good range to check out.