Awful bike shops...

13»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    homercles wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want threadlock for your bike?

*confused*

Not a bad idea on brake disc bolts either.

What happens when you want to undo the bolt?

You er....undo it :?

Threadlock stops things wiggling themselves undone, it doesn't superglue the bolts in place.

IME, rotor bolts, BB cups and brake caliper mount bolts all seem to come with pre-threadlocked by the manufacturers.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    homercles wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want threadlock for your bike?

*confused*

Not a bad idea on brake disc bolts either.

What happens when you want to undo the bolt?

You er....undo it :?

Threadlock stops things wiggling themselves undone, it doesn't superglue the bolts in place.

IME, rotor bolts, BB cups and brake caliper mount bolts all seem to come with pre-threadlocked by the manufacturers.

Ah I see.

Surely a bit of man-screwing should cover it? :?
  • Surely a bit of man-screwing should cover it? :?

You do what you want to do, mate. :shock:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Surely a bit of man-screwing should cover it? :?

You do what you want to do, mate. :shock:

And, no, that risks overtightening, which may damage the thing you are screwing on (screwee?), or the bolt, or both, and if you strip the head, you're really in trouble.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Very handy is threadlock. It holds bolts tight without overtightening, but it also helps to prevent corrosion and siezure. You wouldn't want to use it on everything, but on things like rack mounting bolts, cleats etc which are prone to loosening themselves it's magic. Sure, you can manage without it, but if it makes life easier (and I find that it does), then why not?
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    TGOTB wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Thread lock seems to be a bit illusive in London town :(
    Is there a Screwfix anywhere near where you live? They'll have some...

screwfix branches are like rats in London. you are never far from one ;)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    I have to say Evans aren't bad... but they certainly aren't brilliant.

I speak mainly in my dealings with the spitalfields branch in London where the staff at least ride bikes and vaguely know what goes where in the ar*e and elbow department.

The main problem i have is their prices - they're consistently overpriced vs the web and especially if you check out Ribble. For example - New shimano 105 casette and chain from Evans = £71, from Ribble = a mighty £47.

Their workshop services are also very mean with their time. EG you can get them to do a "complete" service - but it doesn't include checking the bottom bracket. Ask them just to loosen the cups and tighten them again so you can do it yourself later and they ask for an extra £17 for the privilege.

There's no reason they should do this of course, they're a business, but it's not exactly blazing a trail in customer service.

It's for this reason that I use the charity round the corner whenever I can - they pull your bike apart and build it up again for far less and they go the extra mile. It's run by guys who look like they steal bikes in their spare time, but they certainly know what they are doing :wink:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I wish them well but I don't think they'll get by just selling shiny things to novice cyclists.

I think that sounds like an excellent business model
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Awful bike websites....

http://www.camdencycles.co.uk/index.php ... oductId=24

Check out the description :S
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Evans Online...

Don't respond to emails, don't return phone calls. I ordered SPD shoes at the end of May showing as in stock and they still have not arrived despite chasing and chasing. Also put in a separate order the following day for some components - no updates once they took my money and again despite chasing still have no reply and no items. Terrible.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    notsoblue wrote:
    Awful bike websites....

that is so shocking I would even consider not going to the shop itself.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    notsoblue wrote:
    Awful bike websites....

I thought it was just that page...

the whole damn' site is the same :shock:

Click 'Help'

Have babelfish handy....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rhext
    notsoblue wrote:
    Awful bike websites....

Click 'Help'

Have babelfish handy....

To be fair, I suspect this is not a 'live' website. The use of Lorem Ipsum copy on most of the pages is a give-away. It's publishing industry practice to use generated text to check typeface, and the initial link is to something which looks like a set of comments from the owner to the developer. You can question their wisdom in posting it unprotected on the internet, but to conclude that the shop is rubbish as a result might be a bit premature.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    notsoblue wrote:
    Awful bike websites....

Click 'Help'

Have babelfish handy....

Latin I think
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At the risk of being un-PC - looks like the employees are all illegals! The website is certainly criminal, no effort to fill in the proforma form as all the completion notes are there (If i called them illegitemate they'd probably admit to not being able to read and write) - may just buy one of them there tEndum bikes though!

Do cyclesheme really work with these cowboys..........?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rhext
    It's a draft website, not a proper one! It's not latin it's Lorem Ipsum: nonsense made-up language used to check typefaces!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it a draft, or is it real and they've not fully edited out the rubbish that they should have edited out.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rhext
    Is it a draft, or is it real and they've not fully edited out the rubbish that they should have edited out.......

Difficult to say, but since most of the site is full of rubbish, my money's on the former.