Ignorance...

Comments

• paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    iv had it both ways, was out with my 5 year old daughter, coming down the local back road 2 older people were walking towards us on our side of the road, neither of them had the decency to move further out onto the road to allow my 5 year old to stay in at the side, they made her come right over to the other side of the road.

a few years ago out on another single lane road with the dog and my daughter would have been about 2 at the time, we had 3 fuds on mtb`s that were going flat out down a fairly big hill that you can see for well over a mile, none of them slowed down or even glanced at us kicking up dust and gravel as the flew past, i always slow down incase someone steps out, or if a dog pulls on the leads and gets away or incase a child slips from the parents hand
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    NozzaC wrote:
    NozzaC wrote:
    Last night I was at the top of the Wall at Swinley...

Of topic.

Whats the wall?

Just that big dip in the fireroad on the way to the top of the "expert mountain bike area" - well on the way if you're coming from the reservoir anyway. People call it the wall or I've heard itc called the rollercoaster. It's a pretty steep up and down in the road with very loose stones on it.

Some youtube vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOIcWHxWrE

I've always known it as the wall.

With the deerhunter, sketchiest thing I've seen is 5 lads with Orange 5 coming up the trail but that's the beauty of Swinley, it's open access.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    The bell thing is interesting you really have to be subtle - I know I'd be annoyed if someone was ringing at me to get out of the way. I guess that thanking them helps too.

I usually only have to ring it once or twice from about a hundred yards away and they turn around, people sometimes thank me for ringing the bell and I thank them for moving with a regal wave. I wouldn't ride up right behind someone and start dinging just in case they are a nutter with a big knife.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    You can't win either way, there are always pompous people out there with blinkered views, looking at the F.C Cannock Chase site, it;s clear to see Dogs and Bikes are the biggest issues for some people.....
    Name: Darren
    30/Sep/2009
    Mountain bikes and dogs off leads, it's no wonder wildlife is so difficult to watch at cannock chase, it's just one disturbance after another, from people who care little for the forest and even less for the wildlife.gerald springthorpe set up a conservation area with a fantastic deer hide now saddly gone. gerald loved his deer and the forest and you lot have spat on his legacy and all his hard work
    Name: Anonymous ()
    9/Apr/2009
    This was once a very beautiful woods with unspoilt glades and lots of flora and fauna. We rarely visit now as it has been completely ruined by over use - particularly due to mountain biking. There are so many mountain bikes there now that it isnt a safe place to walk dogs and children. These bikes have cut huge mud strewn tracks in to the land and these are not very attractive or easy to negotiate on foot. Add to that another awful 'Go Ape' activity site (Does the UK need one of these in every forest?!)and you no longer have a peaceful forest. Very, very sad how this area has deteriated. If you want tranquility go somewhere else.
    13/Oct/2009
    I cant give this any more stars because i dont think bikes should be allowed to use the same paths as people throught the forest as not all bikes are ridden slow. Imagine a bike coming hurtling towards you from around a bend, you may not always hear them, can you jump out the way quickly enough? Also motorised vehicle drivers please slow down, the deer do not know the green cross code!
    Name: Anonymous
    8/Feb/2010
    Make the area a dog control area (dogs on leads at all times) before there is a serious accident. There have been too mant attacks on other dogs, horses, cyclists and humans recently. There are too many dogs there clearly out of control which spoils the place for considerate users. If a horse was attacked and then bolted the consequences are unthinkable.Most horse riders and cyclist are very respectful and considerate. Dog walkers like to think they own the place. Wildlife will be extinctif dogs are not controlled. I know alot of people are fed up with them and would be willing to "police" a dog control scheme.
    Name: Taz ()
    29/Apr/2010
    I walked on Cannock Chase for over 20 years, nearly every day, until my dogs died 4 years ago. three weeks ago I move my horse near to the chase so that I could enjoy the peace and quiet once again, but what a shock. It is no longer the place I knew but a motorway for mountain bikers. Why have walkers and horseriders been discriminated against and our enjoyment spoiled?
    13/Sep/2010
    I used to go horse riding on cannock chase but am now too scared to do that now due to the number of dangerous and out of control dogs there. A few weeks ago I went cycling there and was attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrior which was one of four dogs accompanied by two people.The two owners were sitting on their backsides at the Stepping Stones and the dogs were at least 100 metres away form them and therfore not in a controlled situation. There used to be signs telling people to keep dogs on leads because of deer protection. I went for a walk there on New Years day and was sickend by the plight of the poor deer who were being flushed out and did not know where to go for safety. I won't visit anymore because of dangerous and out of control dogs and the mess they leave behind. Is it asking too much for owners to keep them on a lead? I think it is unfair that humans should become second place to dangerous and out of control dogs. All dogs can bite and there is always a first time.
    27/Oct/2010
    Mountain bikes are only legally allowed on bridleways and the permissive paths provided by the forestry commission. Anywhere else is trespass. They also seem to think that they have exclusive use of the permissive cycle tracks. THEY DO NOT. If they want to use other tracks they should be made to by a permit and wear a numbered bib. I also think that the area should be subject to a Dog Control order with ■1000 fines for loose dogs in accordance with the introduction of DCO's elsewhere in the Borough. The money from these sources, together with the Horse Riding permits, should be used to provide increased Ranger presence which is desperately required in the interest of public safety. Out of control dogs and speeding mountain bikes are a recipe for disaster. AND DOG WALKERS NEED TO RECOGNISE THAT MANY PEOPLE EITHER DON'T LIKE OR ARE AFRAID OF DOGS AND SHOULD SHOW RESPECT BY KEEPING THEM AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE.
    19/Feb/2011
    We were out with our horse one Sunday morning and I was riding my bike. We met a man with his dog and the dog was milling around the horse and myself. The man could see the horse was getting unsettled by this but made no attempt tocontrol the dog. He just kept on walking expecting the dog to follow, which it didn't. In the end I put my life in my hands, dismounted my bike and took hold of the dogs collar. Fortunatley it was not a nasty dog. I delivered the dog back to its owner and asked if in future he would control the dog as it was an accident waiting to happen. Of course, he gave me a mouthfull of abuse. That's why I think a dog control order should be introduced to ban dogs from the area. Someone IS going to be killed or seriously injured for the sake of a dog. Does that make any sense.

I've tried to leave my own reasoned reply in response to some of those anti-bike-baseless-rants but for some reason, my posts don't appear, although I can hazard a guess I may be seen as presenting too much of a challenge! :D

The only thing we can do as bikers is to keep promoting harmony and keep our cool at all times, there will be days when you are tested by some tutting buffoon (in spite of the fact you may have slowed right down and yielded right over to one side) out on those trails, but you just gotta rise above it all.

One of the posts I've quoted mentions bikers straying off the beaten path illegally, I don't care for their opinion because the F.C staff see us bikers riding deep into the woods in singletrack all the time and turn an obvious blind eye to it all, they know that we cause little harm to anyone but ourselves when we fall off occasionally.

I tend to stick to singletrack as much as possible, favouring 'off the beaten path' and away from the mainstream bridle paths with shared access as much as possible and I suggest you all do the same where applicable, it is exactly those areas where the masses can congregate the conflict may arise.

Remain polite, promote a good image of bikers not just for yourself, but for fellow riders and just smile sweetly in the face of ignorant pomposity. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2011
    Not ignorance, but just sheer stubbornness and the typical walker attitude of their exclusive right to the path. I've mainly experienced it on the Wey and Thames tow paths and usually it's serious "walkers" / ramblers rather than just the average person out for a leisurely walk, and sometimes large family groups often where there's the kids, parents and grandparents together.

Had a number of times where they see you coming, block the path and despite making your intentions know, slowing down to a crawl or stopping, they continue to block the path and either are standing there chatting or are very slowing walking along. Then they give you a dirty look even though you're on the side out of the way.

Also had the occasional insulting remark in my direction despite being no risk to them and having stopped to let them past (typically they have a dog that's not on a leash and is running all over the place, and I've stopped just because of this, but they hurl abuse at me anyway).

And then bells... don't ring a bell even if they know you're there and you get agro. Ring a bell and they jump out of their skin and give you dirty looks even if you are going slow and have rung the bell far in advance.

On busy paths like that I'm always polite and give priority to everyone else, especially if they have kids or a dog. Only a few are polite back to me.

Anyway, Hurtwood in the Surrey Hills is suffering from an anti-bike lobby at the moment also. Problem is it's had a long standing agreement that all share the Hurtwood with the idea of attempting to get people to be responsible. Unfortunately some very vocal walkers have voiced their opinions through the Friends of Hurtwood (as members or otherwise) who manage the access, and have put across a completely unfounded view that the bikers are a bunch of hooligans and are a major problem. Reality is far from it. I rarely see conflict out there as there's so much space to spread out, and usually the trails those on bikes are interested in are not where people like to walk.

Unfortunately there is a lack of voice from the MTB community. Few join the "Friends" and there's no one really to stick up for us. It's difficult for a bunch of relatively younger scruffy (as far as we're seen) riders to be listened to by a vocal group of wealthy possibly influential and probably much older locals.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    @Mental Mickey : hear hear!

I commute down sections of the Notts canal tow path just about every day without incident for the last 3 years, and I'm always courteous to whoever I meet down there.

Yes it's busier in the summer months but I've never had any trouble from anyone, with the exception of a few chavs once but they're fair game in my book and deserve whatever they get :) Yes there are those that are ignorant and inconsiderate but you really do have to rise above it all.

One thing that did tick me off was when the council / british waterways decided to put up a couple of signs saying "Cyclists :Slow Down". Now I'm not denying it's good advice but to single out cyclists specficially on a multi use towpath was a bit out of order. Some equally good advice would have been "Joggers : take off you're fricking ipod so you can hear what's going on around you!", "Chav Mother: keep your staffy under control!" etc... needless to say the signs didn't stay up for very long...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    i use the Lee Vally tow path quite a lot and also am suprised by some people

Do people know that you ment to keep LEFT? and only go right when overtaking?

I too ignore most of it, but when people just seem to stand still ini the left side or worse the middle then expect me to take action i get quite anoyed as useally this puts me in position where i could crash into them.

Funny story.

Going along path coming up to two older people with a tiny dog...."ding ding on my bell"

Nothin, getting nearer,, "ding ding, excuse please"

Nothin, by now the dog has stopped and is looking at me lol

"Excuse please" im 2 mtrs away the dog is now sitting on the left of the path and finally the older woman now decides to move over after realizing the dog has stopped........

By this point i barely out of my clip-ins and the old dude just standing ini the middle of path with the lady and dog on the left, the path now blocked......

Have to wait till the old dude finally relized i cant bike on water and moves :roll:

Lesson learnt, Dogs are more aware and better at giving way than humans :wink:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    To answer the question: how do I deal with it?

I have a bell on my bike and I start using it about 30m away from the pedestrians. 99% of them will look puzzled, look up and then get out of the way.

If you don't let them know you're there from a distance, you'll tend to startle them. And when you startle them, some of them get aggressive and will willfully obstruct you.

There's always a very small number who seem to insist on occupying the whole path, but in my experience it's generally the very old or the very young. It's not so much ignorance as an inability to react quickly - so sometimes you have to slow down a bit. Never mind.

It's amazing to me the number of people who complain about being obstructed, but won't take the very simple step of using a bell. I know they're not cool, and I get endlessly teased about it by my MTB mates. But they work a treat - even the most die-hard ramblers will be more likely to give you some space if the first they hear of you is a gentle 'ding' in the distance.
  • Mental Mickey
    deadkenny wrote:
    Not ignorance, but just sheer stubbornness and the typical walker attitude of their exclusive right to the path. I've mainly experienced it on the Wey and Thames tow paths and usually it's serious "walkers" / ramblers rather than just the average person out for a leisurely walk, and sometimes large family groups often where there's the kids, parents and grandparents together.

Had a number of times where they see you coming, block the path and despite making your intentions know, slowing down to a crawl or stopping, they continue to block the path and either are standing there chatting or are very slowing walking along. Then they give you a dirty look even though you're on the side out of the way.

Also had the occasional insulting remark in my direction despite being no risk to them and having stopped to let them past (typically they have a dog that's not on a leash and is running all over the place, and I've stopped just because of this, but they hurl abuse at me anyway).

And then bells... don't ring a bell even if they know you're there and you get agro. Ring a bell and they jump out of their skin and give you dirty looks even if you are going slow and have rung the bell far in advance.

On busy paths like that I'm always polite and give priority to everyone else, especially if they have kids or a dog. Only a few are polite back to me.

Anyway, Hurtwood in the Surrey Hills is suffering from an anti-bike lobby at the moment also. Problem is it's had a long standing agreement that all share the Hurtwood with the idea of attempting to get people to be responsible. Unfortunately some very vocal walkers have voiced their opinions through the Friends of Hurtwood (as members or otherwise) who manage the access, and have put across a completely unfounded view that the bikers are a bunch of hooligans and are a major problem. Reality is far from it. I rarely see conflict out there as there's so much space to spread out, and usually the trails those on bikes are interested in are not where people like to walk.

Unfortunately there is a lack of voice from the MTB community. Few join the "Friends" and there's no one really to stick up for us. It's difficult for a bunch of relatively younger scruffy (as far as we're seen) riders to be listened to by a vocal group of wealthy possibly influential and probably much older locals.

Cannock Chase isn't exactly serious walker country but believe it or not we do get them, red socks, head to tail waterproofing, large herds all together, flasks and sandwiches, obligatory ski poles to balance oneself while walking because it's just not possible without is it? :roll: :D
    Like you, I also get looked at like I've just held out my hand with a piece of poo in it and asked them to sniff it. :lol: I don;t know what kinda riding you got available but as and where you can, keep to areas they don't go if possible, a meeting between bikers and these 'friends' might not be a bad idea if you can talk about it in a civilized manner but you may be wasting your breath as you only have to have one biker go too fast past them and it tars us all with the same brush for life. :x
    Sounds like you got a nightmare lot to deal with, you may have to consider either sticking to trails centres or move elsewhere like Scotland. :D

CycloRos wrote:

One thing that did tick me off was when the council / british waterways decided to put up a couple of signs saying "Cyclists :Slow Down". Now I'm not denying it's good advice but to single out cyclists specficially on a multi use towpath was a bit out of order. Some equally good advice would have been "Joggers : take off you're fricking ipod so you can hear what's going on around you!", "Chav Mother: keep your staffy under control!" etc... needless to say the signs didn't stay up for very long...

I get this too, I always shout 'coming up from behind' well in advance but it's hopeless when you have a nation of people that can't seem to function without music for all of 5 minutes.
    I see walkers, runners, bikers, all with these IPods, me personally, there's no way I'm wearing one as I always ride alone and if there's a snapping of a twig deep in the woods caused by either an abominable snowman or a pervert, then I want to know about it so I can ride as fast as me little legs can go. :wink:
  • Mental Mickey
    One thing I forgot to mention in the last post is that there are ways you can get a little sarcastic with walkers that have permanent faces of misery and amuse yourselves in the process, WITHOUT saying anything offensive or stooping down to other people's levels that want to insult you like Dead Kenny described.

Sometimes when I'm approaching a group of walkers that I sense are less than friendly then to indicate I want to come past, I'll put my best plum in mouth posh voice and shout ''Tally Ho'' & 'requesting permission for a flyby', after they all move to one side I'll typically say something like 'thankyou kindly, awfully sweet of you old bean'.

The looks on their faces are sometimes worth taking a picture of and keeps me chuckling to myself no end. :D
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    This is an issue that will never be resolved as we are dealing with human beings!

I've ridden with someone once who never slows down when encountering other environment users, even when there are lose dogs and children about. This paticular guy has even run over a dog before.

So unforutnately, as well as walkers being total numpties, some cyclists can also be numpties about adjusting their speed when other users are nearby. Lets face it, if you're driving your car and see a child near the edge of the pavement, do you continue to drive at the same speed, or do you let off the gas!

If I encounter walkers and and they seem to be not willing to budge over, I tend to bellow at them 'rider passing on the left/right'. This asserts that they need to move out of the way and instructs on which way to go.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2011
    I don;t know what kinda riding you got available but as and where you can, keep to areas they don't go if possible, a meeting between bikers and these 'friends' might not be a bad idea if you can talk about it in a civilized manner but you may be wasting your breath as you only have to have one biker go too fast past them and it tars us all with the same brush for life. :x
    Sounds like you got a nightmare lot to deal with, you may have to consider either sticking to trails centres or move elsewhere like Scotland. :D
    Daft thing is the Hurtwood organisation (affiliation between landowners) and the Friends group (which is a donation based charity to manage the access) was intended to open access to the whole land (under some long standing law or agreement) for all people, be it walkers, bikes, horses, etc. The idea being that rather than restrict access and divide up, everyone is supposed to have equal access and with a little management and encouragement all just get along.

Thing is, we all generally do. The problem has been certain people who've got the hump about not having exclusive access to their lovely countryside, what with an increasing amount of mountain bikes about. Yes there are more, but they've raised it as a big issue yet it really isn't. There may be a small minority but the land is so huge you can go for miles without seeing anyone, let alone a bike. Some areas get a bit more populated but it's really only the main dedicated singletrack that walkers shouldn't be on anyway or in the car park or viewing points. Maybe they just don't like the awesome views across the downs to be spoiled with mountain bikers looking at the same views.

They've stirred it up in the local press also which gets the moaners out in force.

http://www.surreyhillsmtber.co.uk/239/s ... r-article/
    http://www.surreyhillsmtber.co.uk/258/a ... -hurtwood/

I joined the Friends of Hurtwood and there are a few other MTBers, but there's not many. Do get some useful information about what's going on from time to time, and the Ranger is part of it and a decent guy who seems to be happy to work with all groups.
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    Thanks for all the replies I was getting a complex... :oops:
    I never ride on footpaths apart from it being annoying /dangerous to the "rightful" users I also like to be able to measure the routes in my car.
    I teach my daughter what I believe is the right way to act,to rise above it,ignore it..but it's still annoying when you see the confusion on her face as to why people are so "ignorant",I say take no notice,be polite and carry on.
    She has a bell and I do encourage the use of it when required.
    Thanks all. :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just so it's clear, when I say footpaths I don't mean pavements, I mean paths across fields/through woodland etc in the countryside. Usually deserted, and I always ride so I can stop in the distance that I can see, so if I see someone else I slow right down, give them a warning, say "thanks" etc. If I'm a danger to anyone then people on identical rights of way that happen to be classified as bridleway, or people in Scotland who ride on footpaths are a danger too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    Slack wrote:
    This is an issue that will never be resolved as we are dealing with human beings!

I've ridden with someone once who never slows down when encountering other environment users, even when there are lose dogs and children about. This paticular guy has even run over a dog before.

So unforutnately, as well as walkers being total numpties, some cyclists can also be numpties about adjusting their speed when other users are nearby. Lets face it, if you're driving your car and see a child near the edge of the pavement, do you continue to drive at the same speed, or do you let off the gas!

If I encounter walkers and and they seem to be not willing to budge over, I tend to bellow at them 'rider passing on the left/right'. This asserts that they need to move out of the way and instructs on which way to go.
    Unfortunately I also know someone who has run over 1 or 2 dogs :oops: ..
    As cyclists I guess "we" read the rules of the byway(or where we are riding),unfortunately most walkers don't have to it seems,if they took the time to read any code of conduct they have rules which they are asked to abide by for courtesy's sake and we could all get along better.
    Luckily though it's not the majority,but even a minority can have a voice.
  • Anonymous
    Indeed. Pavements beside a road have a law preventing cyclists riding on them unless they are designated as a cycle path. Almost everything else is not illegal to ride on. May be trespass, but that's a civil matter.

Having a granted right of way is another matter. That's what walkers enjoy on public footpaths and we enjoy on bridleways thanks to being lumped in with horse riders. Lack of right of way doesn't make it illegal however.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    and trespassing only occurs if damage to property or illegal activity has been under taken to access said area . If example a gate has been left open then a person using that gate to enter the field is not trespassing . but if he brakes a lock to open the gate he / she is .
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    I must say I have never encountered an asshole on my bike. I'm always courteous, slow down and move over to one side. But I am not the sort of person to take someone treating me like a prick. If someone were to purposely block my way I would ensure their day is spoiled well and truly so they would think twice about being a dick again
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    CycloRos wrote:
    "Joggers : take off you're fricking ipod so you can hear what's going on around you!", "Chav Mother: keep your staffy under control!" etc... needless to say the signs didn't stay up for very long...
    :lol:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Mental Mickey
    I must say I have never encountered an asshole on my bike. I'm always courteous, slow down and move over to one side. But I am not the sort of person to take someone treating me like a prick. If someone were to purposely block my way I would ensure their day is spoiled well and truly so they would think twice about being a dick again

You sound pretty tough. :wink:

warrior888888.jpg
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    NatoED wrote:
    and trespassing only occurs if damage to property or illegal activity has been under taken to access said area . If example a gate has been left open then a person using that gate to enter the field is not trespassing . but if he brakes a lock to open the gate he / she is .

That's not actually true.

You are trespassing as soon as you enter someone's property and can be sued by the owner. This is called Civil Trespass and whilst the police can be called to remove you can they cannot prosecute you for it. What you are describing is Criminal Trespass which is a criminal offence and therefore you can be arrested by the police.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I slow down for any one else on the track, make and obvious move over to one side, say hello and thanks.

When coming up behind someone, I call out, 'coming up behind', or 'on your left'. I very rarely have problems. but when some people insist on walking towards me without moving aside when there is plenty of room, I just stop and put both feet down. They get the idea that I'm not moving and pass me with no incident.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I once encountered walkers at Cannock, walking on the FTD trail which is a dedicated BIKE trail.
    One day while riding the Monkey Trail, there's a fire road just after The Rock Garder and as I was approaching it some ramblers were trying to head down it.
    I kindly and diplomatically notified them that it is a dedicated bike Trail. Some mumbled and moaned whilst others accepted my advice as other bikes were coming up behind me.

I've mest real @hole MTB'ers too, so I think it takes all types, but a little diplomacy certainly goes a long way.

Lastly, if yoiu think MTB'er are hated by the red sock brigade, try greenlaning in a 4x4.
    On many a Land Rover club event we've had serious verbal altercations with walkers.
    They hate us with a passion, howver the horseriders do like us, greet us and appreciate the fact tend to stop dead or slow to a crawl (and offer a wide berth) when riders pass us Land Rover owners or the BOAT routes
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    to illustrate the bikers can be idiots,

Up Cwcm carn on sunday at the Black Freeride section adn there is a lady talking to some bikers, I find she is asking directions so i point her towards the road saying she should be able to find the walkers path from there.
    She then tells me the walkers route is boring so she is following the bike route and watned to walk down the downs, saying hse had just walked up the black freereide bit im about to head down.
    I explained this wasn't a good idea and that people come down pretty quick, but she advised me she is a mountain biker and that she knows how to get out the way. No matter what i said i couldn't convince her how distracting it is at speed to have some idiot trying to hide half on the trail where its narrow, or just plain being distracting diving out your way in the bushes.

i actually just ended up saying "The car park is that way, i will not tell you the rest as i don't believe it is safe" :s
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    to illustrate the bikers can be idiots,

Up Cwcm carn on sunday at the Black Freeride section adn there is a lady talking to some bikers, I find she is asking directions so i point her towards the road saying she should be able to find the walkers path from there.
    She then tells me the walkers route is boring so she is following the bike route and watned to walk down the downs, saying hse had just walked up the black freereide bit im about to head down.
    I explained this wasn't a good idea and that people come down pretty quick, but she advised me she is a mountain biker and that she knows how to get out the way. No matter what i said i couldn't convince her how distracting it is at speed to have some idiot trying to hide half on the trail where its narrow, or just plain being distracting diving out your way in the bushes.

i actually just ended up saying "The car park is that way, i will not tell you the rest as i don't believe it is safe" :s

Blimey :shock: :shock:

That's just scary isn't it :(
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I once encountered walkers at Cannock, walking on the FTD trail which is a dedicated BIKE trail.
    It's not unusual*

We've had ramblers on the rollers (both directions) and everybody and his dog was walking on the Monkey back in 2009 before it officially opened and they still do now. Also quite a few fell-runner types go round when it's quiet but they are alert and courteous and stand to one side even though they're running faster than I can ride :)

* (c)Tom Jones
  • you can go two ways... one yoda would say leads to the dark side..

the other would be to simply dismount...stop... say hello to them and smile saying "it's a lovely day for a walk isn't it" - that's if you are going towards them.
    if you are behind them, again just dismount, and walk beside them, saying the same thing, but walk faster... then off you go once passed, give them a nice wave too.

thing is you can control your actions, but not others.....

the dark side would be to, say "what the f*** do you think you're doing you c***, next time I will kick 7 colours of s*** out of you with my powerfull cycling legs... so move out of the way you c**t or else!"

I do not recommend the dark side.
    I like bike, bike is bike.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    But but but release your anger Graeme.. I can feel your hatred!!!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    While we're ranting, walkers need to stop getting so pissy when I yell "Bike Behind" or something. It's not my fault you jumped out of your feckin skin because you were gormlessly wandering along the path. If you didn't walk two abreast, I could pass you easily, so don't scowl at me, or get narky when I apologise for making you jump. Next time I'll drop anchors behind you and let the tyres and brakes wake you up.

Ah, that feels good :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Also, if you want real ignorance....dog owners!

I don't mind if you own a dog, I personally don't mind too much if it's off the lead when it, strictly speaking, shouldn't be, as long as it doesn't try to bite me. If it's friendly and just runs up for a sniff, thats fine, if I have to slow down to let you past, well, we've all got to share and get along, that's fine.......

But pick it's cr@p up. For f*cks sake! I don't like getting dogsh*t on me, on my clothes, on my camelbak or on my shiny new bike you bunch of self absorbed t*ssers! :evil:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."