Bike Racks - Dirty Bikes

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Do any of you cover any parts of your bikes when transporting them on the top or back of your cars to keep it clean, ie bars, chain, gears etc ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• teulk
    11 views and no reply in a short time, does that mean you all have bike racks and get a dirty bike but dont cover :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a boot mounted bike rack, a Saris Bones 3. I don't cover my mtbs or my road bike. It's too much hassle keeping the cover secure. If it's an issue, give the bike a wipe down when you arrive at your destination.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Saw a bike on a car heading for the Etape C the other day - had what looked like bikini briefs stretched over the handlebars, looked really rather silly. I've certainly never seen one before but I presume it's what a particular kind of bike tart buys to keep their nice white bar tape clean.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    bompington wrote:
    Saw a bike on a car heading for the Etape C the other day - had what looked like bikini briefs stretched over the handlebars, looked really rather silly. I've certainly never seen one before but I presume it's what a particular kind of bike tart buys to keep their nice white bar tape clean.
    I've seen those, (perhaps it was DieselDog ?)

I think the idea is that they protect the front of the bike, especially from water getting into the headset. Rain at 70mph is like a jetwash ! The problem with them is that they act like a sail, catch the wind and increase fuel consumption considerably. Zip tie a piece of old innertube around the headset if it's going to be rainy.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I have a roof mounted job and no, not at all. Just a piece of rag around the frame where the rack clamps onto the frame to stop scratches.
  • teulk
    I've just bought a boot mounted rack and i was just wondering how much of an issue it was with the bikes getting really dirty. I have white bar tap and the last thing i want is for it to get minging :D I suppose i could always tape some carrier bags around the bars if im that worried :roll:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    teulk wrote:
    I have white bar tap and the last thing i want is for it to get minging
    You could always just stick to riding indoors
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Jeez I know. I thought one of the fun parts of riding a bike was to get it absolutely boggin!

Personally I wouldn't hang my road bike off the car as its too light (leave that to the mountain bikes). I prefer to squish it in the back after putting down some cloth to protect my seats :).
  • teulk
    aidso wrote:
    Jeez I know. I thought one of the fun parts of riding a bike was to get it absolutely boggin!

My mountain bike yes, my road bike no :shock:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • stevec205gti
    stevec205gti Posts: 366
    What - people actually transport their bikes on the OUTSIDE of their cars??? :shock:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    In a word - no! In 3 words, get a life :wink: