insurance ?

PIKEO Posts: 82
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi peeps, just wondering if many of you have insurance for your bikes, and if so, what type of cover can be offered and which companies do you recommend, did a on-line quote the other day just to get a rough idea of what the premium would cost (£141 per year full cover) for £1600 bike, but since then I have not got any other quotes, look forward to hearing your advice, cheers PIKEO :D


  • You should just be abl;e to get it on your house contents insurance as an extra. Just tell them how much its worth and it adds a bit on your house insurance.
  • If it adds too much to the price of house insurance, M&S insure items up to the value of £4k and most people on here would recommend them.

    My last insurance company wouldn't touch my £1700 bike so switched
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Home insurance is the way to go provided they do not rip you off and don't have a stupidly low limit. I have mine covered for a couple of quid a month extra.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • on-one
    on-one Posts: 85
    Do it on the house insurance mate, i got my £1500 bike insured all across europe for an extra £7 a year with direct line.
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site:
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    Many will say that the cheapest way to get your bike covered is under your house insurance. That won't cover you for wiping out a dog walker (or his dog) who decides to contact etc.

    We've got two bikes (totalling £1300 value) insured for £67 a year with It's a very comprehensive policy.

    I've heard you can take out a separate third party policy with CTC. That coupled with the house insurance route might be the way to go. It's something to certainly consider.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • as miggins said.....

    it depends what your looking for generic thieving bar stewards i would just do it on the house insurance but if you want public liability you will most likely want some sort of seperate policy.

    or a 9mm to clean up any disputes so to speak ;)
    Cube Acid 2011
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    £25 I think for British cycling membership gives you £10,000,000 of third party cover in case of you ploughing into someone. Also you get their legal support if you're involved in a claim against someone else.

    As for insurance against the bike being stolen, add it on your household insurance, unless you're in a shared house/student accommodation or something like that.

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    What bails said, third party insurance such as British Cycling or CTC + slight increase on house insurance premium = less than buying bike specific insurance.

    Infact, Quidco are currently giving £12 cashback for taking out annual membership with British cycling which costs £24 ;)