Difficulties with Shimano M445 Brakes

trekruss
trekruss Posts: 15
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had a Trek 6000 Disc 2011 for about 3 months now and I am experiencing severely reduced braking performance recently. The bike is fresh back from LBS free 1st service but nothing has improved.

I think it needs new pads which raises the 1st problem - Shimano tech spec specifies B01S resin pads and I can't source them anywhere! Is there another pad that is compatible with this brake system?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Hi russ,

Linky

If you want to switch Sintered Pads, there are a few suppliers; Superstar Componenets
    They're popular and reasonably priced; but check that your rotors can put up with the harder sintered material. Better rotors might be a nice upgrade anyway :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't worry about the rotors, just use either SS resin (softer) or sintered (last longer).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the pad and rotor are contaminated. Replace the former, clean the latter with IPA.
  • trekruss
    Thanks guys - I'm more worried about the size / shape of the pads and investing in a new set that might not fit!

I'm willing to take the plunge with sintered pads although my shimano rotors do say "resin only" on them.

Also without sounding daft what is IPA?

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and using sintered make them shut up. yes the rotor will wear faster but even then it will take years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trekruss
    Ta, any further advice on actual make / product code of pads? Still struggling to find a compatible match - the ones on the superstar website don't look similar at all.

Russ
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tis a fairly common pad fits the following and more.

Shimano Deore M515, M465, M475, M495, Nexave C501, C601 and RST D-power mechanical.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When you order from SS you get the model from a drop down. They send you the right ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Think it's "S2" that you'll need from SS

edit: IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol. Used to clean rotors, its very good at getting rid of any grime or grease that might foul up your pads, which has an impact on performance. Do this before you change the pads
  • trekruss
    Great guys thanks very much for your advice. Might invest in some new rotors as well just been looking at the superstar ones. I can feel the need to upgrade bit and bobs from the stock set up day by day!