Gentle introduction to climbing

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

Where would people recommend for a more challenging ride than can be found here in Limburg? I'm not a climber (78kg!) so would be looking for places in Europe with a mixture of ascents. I'm happiest on long ramps rather than short, sharp climbs. Obviously, a nice view and pleasant surroundings are a bonus, and even better by the sea.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hi,

Where would people recommend for a more challenging ride than can be found here in Limburg? I'm not a climber (78kg!) so would be looking for places in Europe with a mixture of ascents. I'm happiest on long ramps rather than short, sharp climbs. Obviously, a nice view and pleasant surroundings are a bonus, and even better by the sea.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Steve

The north-eastern Adriatic coast around Trieste and Slovenia.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    78kg? try 90! dont be put off with the severity of climbs there are very few you wont enjoy ridnig up if youve got the right gears.. Might be tough mind you :)
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    78kg? try 90! dont be put off with the severity of climbs there are very few you wont enjoy ridnig up if youve got the right gears.. Might be tough mind you :)
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Aside from the fact its full of 1000s of British club riders who all think they can descend ( :evil: ), Mallorca. Many circular routes, easyish climbs, just dont come in April if you ride alone..
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    pottssteve wrote:

Erm... Limburg is full of bloody hard climbing? Since they're all short though, to get something different you're going to be limited to the alps or similar aren't you?

Majorca is nice place to cycle though.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    BarryBonds wrote:
    78kg? try 90! dont be put off with the severity of climbs there are very few you wont enjoy ridnig up if youve got the right gears.. Might be tough mind you :)[/quote

90? Try 100!]
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for the advice.

My employer has an office near Trieste so a transfer may be possible! I'd thought of Majorca, but I do like to ride alone....

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    If 78kg is heavy and "fat" for you, i'm obese at 10kg more. I climb well though, legs are strong, but my diet is piss poor.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Scotland - lovely up there!