Close Call!

cee
cee Posts: 4,553
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Had one of those...very nearly...... moments last night....

descending into Roslin Glen....opposite Wallaces cave for those who know it....

anyway...trail follows high ridge line.....vertical drop up to about 80 feet in places....

Negotiated the rocky switchbacks...all good, then turned away from the edge and uphill...all stop for a big fallen tree...

A branch got caught in my lid, which then started to ping me backwards....front wheel kicked up, helped along by a mate following closely behind, who tapped my back wheel...bike goes straight underneath me...I fall backwards....land on a very steep bank, sliding head first towards the edge...about a 30ft drop ont he other side straight down into a big ole pile of rocks in about 6 inches of water....

That slow-mo thing happened...I saw the one tree on that stretch of ridge and remember thinking the words...."Im having that.....thats mine"....

somehow managed to twist myself over and catch the tree with the inside of my thigh and left arm.....and was left sitting on the edge of the ridge...with my legs dangling into space.....with just the tree between me and certain doom.

Didn't panic...sat still for 30 seconds, while I had a look around for a way back up to the trail.....

Lots of nervous laughter from everyone for the rest of the ride.....had i gone over that edge....the best outcome would have been lots of broken things....worst...literally coud have died.....

lucky.....understatement.
Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    POIDH.

Glad you're not dead though!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    that is scary.... glad youre ok though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Story would have been amazing if you'd actually died.
    Then come back just to post about it. That's what a real man would have done.
    Not "Realman", a real man.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Know exactly where you mean Cee. I go running there a lot, but never taken the bike down. Can be hairy enough on foot under some conditions, never mind on a bike! Glad you are OK.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tried a different line on one part of Upper Cliff the other day...got it wrong which made me off line and off balance for the next obstacle...thrown off the bike to the left, put my arm round a sapling to break my fall and landed on my right side then rolled over on my back.

Bike comes tumbling after me and stops in the puncture repair position with the bars between my legs...phew
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Yikes! That's just like a movie. Quite the cliffhanger... :roll:
    Many happy trails!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    MORE IMPROTANTLY HOW WAS YOUR BIKE?

Damn caps lock
  • cee
    pic below of the opposite face of the glen...ignore the shopped in 'wallace'

the bit where i fell was not quite as severe....

I fell back...bike stayed up on the trail.....so no damage to it...

thank fsk cos it was first ride out after a refresh....new everything except frame and fork.

Gnome-in-Wallaces-Cave-s.jpg
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Did you really just post a picture of where you didn't fall?
    Go and facepalm yourself right now :lol:
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Something like this then? but without the big drop beforehand
  • BennyB
    BennyB Posts: 174
    jesus that was lucky! That vid is insane too. Lucky guy
    Ime diving, ime bored, ime on the diving board
  • cee
    Did you really just post a picture of where you didn't fall?
    Go and facepalm yourself right now :lol:

a fair point well made.... :oops:

H.G. Wells.