Last Will & Testament

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
What a cheerful subject :shock:

I need to make a simple will but want to do it without having to pay a bunch of solicitors an exorbitant fee.

I have no property or significant other/children. Would just be cash/insurance money and possessions left to 1 or 2 family members, plus some instructions on how to remove my body from this world.

Are the DIY Wills worth the paper they are written on?

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    A small investment in a proper will now will save an awful lot of ptential issues after your death. A good local solicitor shouldn't charge the earth, for a simple will it's probably only an hours work for them and ensures that there are no arguments when you die and that your money goes to exactly where you want it to go.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Your looking about £90 - £150 for a will to be written by a Bank, upto £200 from a solicitor.

I simply cant see a reason why one would choose to do a DIY will with the cost of a will been very small in comparison to the potential issues it can cause for grieving family in the event of your death.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Google for Will Writing Services +<your area> to find local ones. They needn't cost the earth esp for a simple one, but they should spot and deal with any potential bear-traps. Everyone thinks it's simple; it can be but as per prev responses you're opening a can of worms if you leave any ambiguities.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    DIY on this is a false economy
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Look for a solicitor is my advice. My experience is based on my mother's death and she not leaving a will. I wont go into detail but it was a f**king legal nightmare on top of me being highly emotional for months after. The system expects everyone to leave a proper valid will, and if there's anything wrong with a, say, DIY will then you've left your loved ones with a nightmare.

The decision is should you spend £100 on a will or leave your benefactors with a (upto) £500 bill sorting out your estate.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    If you're over 55 then you can have your will prepared by a solicitor through the Cancer Research 'Will for Free' scheme.

http://legacies.cancerresearchuk.org/ho ... s-service/

You don't have to, but most people donate what would have been the cost of the will writing fee to Cancer Research in their will.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Can only echo the previous replies, get it done properly. Some things in life you can economise on, this isn't one of them.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    NWLondoner wrote:

I need to make a simple will but want to do it without having to pay a bunch of solicitors an exorbitant fee.

I have no property or significant other/children. Would just be cash/insurance money and possessions left to 1 or 2 family members, plus some instructions on how to remove my body from this world.

Nope. Currently have not a lot, potentially a different matter, not worth screwing up people who will be sad enough to see you go.

One thing that needs to be done, so do it and do it properly.

Just my twopenneth.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    +1 to the above, get it done properly by a solicitor.

Sketch out your intentions beforehand, a solicitor would then get it properly written-up so that there's no grey areas for a minimal fee.
    Cycling weakly
  • kitebeast
    kitebeast Posts: 9
    Hi there, if you are in a work Union they should be able to help you out and get a Will done for free, our Union (GMB) offers this service to it's members. But get one done.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    kitebeast wrote:
    Hi there, if you are in a work Union they should be able to help you out and get a Will done for free, our Union (GMB) offers this service to it's members. But get one done.

thats also a bit of a lottery. they write a very simple will for free but add in any complicatios and it starts to mount up dearer than going to your own solicitor.

10 years ago just after we got married we spent £150 for the joint wills with some complex bits in ( who will get what if X,Y and Z happens)

had it reveiwed last year, (for free by the same solicitor !) and nothing needed changing.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    If you've ever studied equity law and seen what can happen then the idea of a DIY will or simply not having one would seriously worry you!

As everyone else has said, go to a solicitor. If it's something simple like all to your wife/partner or all to you children then it won't take long and wont be too expensive. If thiings are more complicated (kids all over the place, donations to charities / organisations, trust funds for kids) then it might cost more due to the time involved but just have everything written down nice and clearly explaining what you want to happen and the solicitor should be able to sort it easily
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Ollieda wrote:
    If you've ever studied equity law
    you will have glimpsed a vision of hell...
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Also avoid the bank option. We looked into it and normally they would be appointed as the executors and so charge a high fee at that stage.

We went to a local solicitor, it was totally painless (even darkly funny at times) and the bill was £150, which included storage...which given my ability to loose things was nice!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I asked a similar question last year on the forum as my Father was in the same boat. My Father was against getting a will drawn up by a solicitor under any circumstances and i could not get him to change his attitude even after showing him the BikeRadar thread on the subject at the time. Eventually my Father got a d.i.y. will form from the post office and filled out the will in our local pub with two of his best friends as witnesses. He also made my Brother-in-law the executor. My Father died in March and luckily as there is no property involved the will goes to probate. Dont know the whole story but this involves my Brother-in-law going for an interview and the cost of this will be £180.This is as far as we,ve got at the moment but according to my Sister there should be no problem and the bank are also satisfied that everything is in order. Just for the record there are only three beneficiaries in my Fathers will, me, my Brother and Sister.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • BearPear
    BearPear Posts: 8
    My mum-in-law had a DIY will. She left everything to her 2 sons and named her brother-in-law as executor. It was straightforward and went to probate without a problem.

When his aunt died my husband did all the organising, he did probate and everything. It didn't cost much (compared to solicitors who truly will leech you dry!)

If your estate is straightforward and you have no dependants or complicated trusts then I think a DIY will would be fine. Hubby found out how to sort everything out on-line, I thnk that the Government site has lots of useful info, Direct.Gov is the site.
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    NWLondoner wrote:

God, the things you get on this site !

GODS VOICE - 'dont worry my son, you'll be fine...'

:shock:

:lol:
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]