Improvements to my MTB

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi

I have recently swapped from commuting on a MTB with slicks to a road bike and love it!

but now i am (already!!) planning for the almost inevitable snow and ice that will surely be upon us again this winter and want to prepare for getting back on the old MTB.

What can i do (if anything!) to make it less of a shock to go from my nice light road bike back to my MTB? In other words, how can i 'road up' my MTB?!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Moving on from the obvious (slick tyres, full-length mudguards, bar ends, etc) yesterday I swapped the front fork on my commuter: from a heavy (2.3Kg) suspension fork, locked out but still wobbly (and rusty), to a brand new Kinesis XLT rigid fork (850 grams). It transformed the handling.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Hi

Thanks for the reply!

Thats a good idea, i dont need suspension at all and it is just adding weight!

oh i forgot to say, the reason i am thinking about this now is so i can maybe upgrade a little at a time, a bit each pay day :)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    fnegroni wrote:
    Moving on from the obvious (slick tyres, full-length mudguards, bar ends, etc) yesterday I swapped the front fork on my commuter: from a heavy (2.3Kg) suspension fork, locked out but still wobbly (and rusty), to a brand new Kinesis XLT rigid fork (850 grams). It transformed the handling.

So you built a hybrid?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    gbsahne wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

So you built a hybrid?

Sort of. It still is a proper MTB, a rigid MTB.
    It can take huge 2.3 inch wide knbbly 26" tyres.

Yes it has mudguards and yes it has a pannier rack, but the mudguards come off for off road duties (such as when cycling on ice this last Winter on a set of Schwalbe Ice Spikers.) and the panniers are really a need when carrying camping gear, even on the trails.
    It still has MTB gearing and flat handlebar, and 26" wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Hybrid is now a rubbish term, it covers everything from a a rigid MTB on slicks to a road bike (to all intents) on flats, there is such a big difference between those two that it makes the term 'hybrid' meaningless.

Loving the new Boardman Hybrid Pro BB30 though, stealth matt black, tapered steerer etc.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I've got a rigid MTB, and I ride that solely from late October to mid-March.

From Late March, I ride a flat bar road bike. Between March and October, I still ride my MTB on the odd day so I'm still comfortable on it.

Different bikes have different geometries and strain different muscles. If you're off a particular bike for too long, it takes some time to get used ot it again.