Hub swap.

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently have a crap Shimano M475 rear hub with QR which is dieing.
This:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38215

I want to upgrade to something sparkly and better but running on a budget.

I would like a minimum fuss straight swap and i’ve been looking at Superstar Components namely the Switch EVO Rear Hub - 32 Hole
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=342

First off is this a direct replacement with minimum fuss? What Adapter do i need?
Is this a decent hub for £60? What alternatives could i go for at the same price? Would a Shimano XT hub be a better choice? I've seen Hope hubs i like but they are £40 extra and i need that cash to replace other broken bits.

I ride XC, downhill and the occasional jump but generally i’m not too abusive to the bike so the new hub dosent have to be built super hardcore rugged. Lightness, smoothness, strength and not too clicky are the name of the game.

Thanks

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to have your wheel unbuilt and then rebuilt with new spokes.

different hub dimensions mean different length spokes.

Buy a ready built wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Oftern cheaper to buy a new wheel
  • ThePriory1978
    Seems excessive just to replace a nakerd hub. Needing new spokes i can except but i'm happy with my rims. A LBS will do a wheel build for a good price, around £22, dowt that includes spokes but anyway all i need is a hub as they only supply high end components like Hope and i cant afford them.

So will the Switch EVO fit my bike do you think or shall i just upgrade to Shimano XT? Whats best?

My bike, the components in regards to this hub issue are as listed.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p1938

• nicklouse
    so why not just fix your current hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    nicklouse wrote:
    so why not just fix your current hub?

why not just answer his question?
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cup and cone is easy to service, just clean out and regrease.
    If the balls are very worn (unlikely give age of bike) they cost a few £ on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ThePriory1978
    For such a crap hub do you think it would be fixable? Is it honestly worth it looking at these prices on a £20 hub.

LBS charges
    Rear Hub Service (Cup & Cone) £35
    Rear Hub Service (Cartridge) £29

Its currently sounding crunchy, theres play in the axle and it rolls like the brakes are on, or you need plier to spin the axle if its removed from the bike. Its too tough to rotate by hand.

Surely a £22 wheel build (dont ask me why its cheaper than a hub service but it is) is a better option to replace a crap hub.

So will the Switch EVO fit my bike (what adapter do i need, standard QR) or do think i should just upgrade to Shimano XT? Whats best? What other alternatives are there?

Thankyou.

• cooldad
    Takes a few minutes to open them up, clean out and replace the balls along with a bit of grease.
    Bearings are literally a few £ a bag.
    It's easier with a set of cone spanners (under a tenner).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So you're asking how spending £35 to fully service a hub compares to spending £60 on a new hub, PLUS £22 on a build, totalling £82?
  • cooldad
    Possibly just nead a clean, relube and adjust.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, can be worth it as regular servicing makes them last a long time. I have some that are a few years old! But I wouldn't pay those prices. Buy some cone spanners, grease and ball bearings and strip them. 15 mins and could be sorted.

A full build is still cheaper than a hub swap should you go that way, and I doubt that wheel build price is for parts you have not bought from them.

You need a 135mm rear hub with quick release.

For £70:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... S-DISC.htm

SLX splined hub, Mavic 317 rims, double butted spokes. Great deal. You would need a rotor adaptor though.
  • ThePriory1978
    I'm not trying to be difficult...

... and i realise spending more on a new hub and rebuild using an existing rim is kinda a waste of money but imo so is paying £29 on a hub service just to find its still crap and breaks in another year.

The thought of servicing it myself is a good one but by the time i've bought the tools and lubes and bearings and everything else plus the fact i guarantee i'll make a hash of it just to be back where i started.

£82 is more than Supersonics suggested £70 but at least i'll get the best hub i can for the money, i keep my matching rims i'm happy with anyway and i'll have a hub that'll work for years without me worrying if i serviced it correctly.
    supersonic wrote:
    You need a 135mm rear hub with quick release.

Thanks i'm guessing the Superstar EVO will fit then.

As i say i'm not trying to be difficult. I'm trying to get the best value for money with what i have to work with. The prices available to me. My limited knowledge and the result i want to achieve.

All i would really like is compatible hub suggestions for around £60

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The wheel Sonic suggests has the SLX hub, which frankly is a cracking hub.
    Nothing is ever going to be maintenance free, there's no magic bullet that you can buy that means you will never have to learn how to maintain your bike, or pay someone to do it.
  • ThePriory1978
    Theres only two parts of a bike that i cant strip or maintain myself. One is suspension forks, the other is wheels and wheel trueing. Adding hubs i suppose makes 3.
    Is that really so bad. I thought my knowledge was pretty good but wheels is my achilles heel. Learning to true a wheel would be a skill i'd be willing to pay for.

Back on track.

So is a SLX hub better than an XT. Am sure it was the other way around?

Is an XT hub better than Superstar hub?

• supersonic
    You are looking at £25 for spokes from a bike shop. And this is assuming they have the hub details to enter into a spoke calculator (and your rim details!)
  • nicklouse
    I
    All i would really like is compatible hub suggestions for around £60

then ask in the buying section.

As any hub is Compatible.

but I would get the wheel sonic linked to and sell you old one.
  • ThePriory1978
    I fucking hate wheels. So complicated. So expensive.
    supersonic wrote:
    You are looking at £25 for spokes from a bike shop. And this is assuming they have the hub details to enter into a spoke calculator (and your rim details!)

Spoke to my LBS mate, i will get some sexy light yet plain spokes online and to solve the issue of the hub details i'll get the cheaper of the two hubs. The XT one,online £39, every shop has details about Shimano parts dont they?!... Problem solved.
    Would of quite liked the blingy Superstar one tho.

As this thread has moved from a tech orientated Q to product, if a mod wants to move this thread to Buying would be much appreciated. Dont wanna offend anyones sensitive sensibilities. Thanks.

• supersonic
    Double, then triple check that you are getting the right length spokes. They are specific to the rim and hub combo, and lacing pattern.