Should I replace my lid?

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Like a dullard I left my lid upside down on a picnic table today where the wind blew it off onto the pavement

should I replace it? Couldn't see any visible damage?

It's out of warranty so I don't get crash replacement.
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't bother, but I have a thick skull.
    Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about a small fall, only if it hit the ground with your head in it.
    I hit loads of branches whan I ride but don't worry about them.
    If there are cracks in the shell (which mainly seem to be made out of recycled supermarket carriers) or the inner is compacted different story.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Your call. Motorcyclists will generally replace the helmet if it falls that far.
  • cooldad
    That's because the shell is a useful part and can crack. The shell of most MTB helmets is thin bendy plastic to make the polystyrene look less crappy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    IMHO of course
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    I respectfully disagree with your opinion.
    Seriously though, I've seen what happens when a kid falls in an entirely polystyrene helmet - schools were giving them to kids years ago, and I've seen what happens when an in-moulded lid hits the deck. The difference is staggering.
  • cooldad
    Your respectful disagreement is noted and is probably correct.
    Being clumsy and not very observant, if I replaced my helmet everytime I whacked it on a low hanging branch I'd need a team of porters to resupply me during each ride.
    Having both offspring and a grasping ex, this is beyond my means.

@topc4t In the words of the immortal Harry Callahan " you’ve got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

Suggest you ignore my advice, next time we bump into each other wouldn't want to see you splattered over Seagull.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • t0pc4t
    nah this is not my Xen, it's a Limar that I use for commuting.

tbh I wouldn't mind as it's about 3 1/2 years old and I fancy something new and shiny but I got these lights for the back of it and they were forever coming out so I superglued them in, so the cost would probably be new lid and also new lid lights.

@yeehaa, my understanding with motorbike helmets was that the outer shell could be ok but there may be a weak spot in the polystyrene crash protection inside. Are you saying you'd expect a similar situation with a bike lid?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    A lot of modern commuting lids have lights in them now.
  • Anonymous
    Why are you asking me? All I now is that head hitting ground in helmet hurts less than head hitting ground without helmet!
    I have a basic grasp of how the construction of a helmet helps, but no concrete facts on failure modes.
    Like CD, I've often knocked my helmet, and after singing in falsetto for a few minutes, and giving it a visual once over, decided that it was ok to use again.
    But I couldn't honestly recommend that others do the same.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I'm with cooldad, I hit branches on nearly every ride, would cost me a fortune in lids.

But if you're just after an excuse to splash out on a new lid I would say, yes, your life depends on it... ;)
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I once dropped an Arai in the car park while I was carrying it. Got it checked out by the Arai Service people and they said it was fine.

MTB helmets are quite a lot lighter than motorcycle lids and I am not convinced about the need to replace one in the event of a minor impact. Personally I wouldn't replace an MTB lid if it fell onto the pavement from a picnic table.
  • t0pc4t
    Why are you asking me? All I now is that head hitting ground in helmet hurts less than head hitting ground without helmet!
    I have a basic grasp of how the construction of a helmet helps, but no concrete facts on failure modes.
    Like CD, I've often knocked my helmet, and after singing in falsetto for a few minutes, and giving it a visual once over, decided that it was ok to use again.
    But I couldn't honestly recommend that others do the same.

I misread your post. I thought you were disagreeing with Cooldad saying it would most likely be ok. In fact you're disagreeing with him saying the plastic outer shell is cosmetic.

I appreciate it's my decision, well, truth be told it's the wife's decision as she does the finances and gets bothered about stuff like helmets (because she's sensible)

Unfortunately I now have to the face the question 'How much do you need to spend on a new helmet?'

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    Well, I know your wife definitely likes other helmets. so...
  • t0pc4t
    :shock:

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
    I'm just kidding!

It's the shafts she's more interested in :shock:
  • t0pc4t
    wonder how far down this topic can go before it gets moved to the crudcatcher.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Not sure on how you superglued it but obviously if you add/stick/attach anything to your lid then it could weaken it's internal structure and possible make it more likely to crack in an accident.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • t0pc4t
    they're small LEDs so they go in the vents, can't see it being worse than using double sided sticky tape, which is what the lights came with.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    t0pc4t, there's an extra "r" in your sig, by the way.
  • t0pc4t
    cheers

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    On swapping then, what do you guys view as lid's lifespan :?:

4 years?

(This post presumes that you have not come off whilst wearing, dropped or damaged your lid)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    A few years ago I left my lid on the ground while I locked my bike up after arriving at work. As I walked past I leant over and picked up my lid by the straps without slowing down much. As I swung my arm back up the straps slipped through my fingers and I basically ended up throwing it halfway across the car park.

That one went in the bin, although it wasn't obviously cracked or anything I just didn't trust it!
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    I agree with Mr Cool. I think your helmet is ok. IF there is no visable sign of damage of course.
    It fell but there was nothing in it only the weight of the helmet so the impact force would of been virtually nowt. It would of just ricochet. They are designed to take an impact with the weight of a fat blokes head in it. Probably. So personally i'd keep it. If your not an accident prone fat bloke that is.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Got told on my TCL training that it's recommended you replace your helmet regardless every three years. Not sure I can bring myself to bin a perfectly good Zen but it was useful excuse to buy something extra that was cheap and looked better on my road bike!
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Personally it wouldn't even occur to me to replace a helmet that had just dropped on the floor. They are so light that I can't see them getting damaged even from a much higher fall.
  • Anonymous
    MingMong wrote:
    On swapping then, what do you guys view as lid's lifespan :?:
    Until it looks ragged, or I just go out on a whim and buy a new one.