Avid Elixirs..... again

tskelding
tskelding Posts: 64
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to sort out a mate's bike while he's away. Last time he rode it the rear brake started clamping until the back wheel didn't turn anymore. Brake was running fine for the months leading up to this.

I've tried prizing the pads apart, next trick will be sliding business cards in between the pads to push them apart.

For fear of angering the MTB workshop gods (nicklouse!), can anyone shed any pearls of wisdom for a fix, since the only shop he (mate, not nicklouse) is over 3000kms away. While he is a good mate, he;s not that good since my bikes don't get that sort of treatment!

Pads move in and out when lever is squeezed.
What you're talking about is 'practice'... which should be banned as a performance enhancer!

Happiness is... perfect chain tension!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I've tried prizing the pads apart,
    what happened?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tskelding
    tskelding Posts: 64
    nicklouse wrote:
    what happened?

No joy. They drop back to where they were. The exact width of a disc!
    What you're talking about is 'practice'... which should be banned as a performance enhancer!

Happiness is... perfect chain tension!
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Too much fluid? Open the bleed screw on the brake lever and let a little fluid out. Do it a tiny bit at a time and make sure you screw it back up before testing the brakes again.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)