Rear shock and front QR advice.....

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello :D

A couple of (unrelated!) issues with my bike....

Firstly, my rear shock is making a weird WHOOOP noise when it's being compressed. I don't usually notice it, but riding the descent at Cwmcarn yesterday even Notax could hear it riding close behind me :oops: As far as I know it's working ok.... Is this anything to worry about?

By the way, although my bike was only built last summer the frame and shock had been sitting around in a store room since 2007 - so I could well believe it if some seals or something in the shock had degraded over the years. But surely then it wouldn't be working? Not sure if it's a bike shop job (to see fi anything's wrong), or off to Mojo for a full service?

Secondly, my front (Hope) QR is somehow tightening up over the course of a ride..... I know actually tightening itself is impossible, so how come I can do it up when I put my front wheel on at the start of a ride, but at the end I genuinely can't manage to undo it :oops: And it's not just me being rubbish - others have observed this too! I don't know how I could manage if I got a puncture and had to take my wheel off mid-race or something :?

Anyway, any thoughts on these would be appreciated! :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shocks do make noises. it could be that a seal is in need of some lube or it might just the damping valves working.

it does depend on what the shock is........

Hope Qrs have been know to self loosen so i guess it could be possible for them to self tighten.

Fit shimano for no problems.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • miss notax
    It's a Fox Float RP3 shock (I think i've got that right!). Pretty sure the rear shock never made any noise on my old bike, although i'm probably riding harder / faster than I did with that bike....

Interesting about the Hope QR's, will get some Shimano ones. I want them to stay precisely as I have tightened them - not to self loosen or tighten :wink::D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had a QR explode on me once. Don't think it was actually tightening, I think it was the cones loosening.
    Or was just rusty and rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had hope QRs do that too. Seems they just get grit in them during a ride, which then seizes them up.
    I've also had them loosen.
    Utter garbage.
  • miss notax
    I've had hope QRs do that too. Seems they just get grit in them during a ride, which then seizes them up.
    I've also had them loosen.
    Utter garbage.

Ah, well i'm sorry you found that too but a bit pleased that it's not just me being feeble after riding! The boys have struggled to undo them afterwards, which is why i'm concerned if I get a puncture by myself I literally would not be able to get my wheel off to fix it.... :evil:

Are Shimano skewers the way to go then? What type?

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any. from Deore up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Any shimano ones are good. The all-enclosed cam keeps them smooth.

In the meantime though, here's a pro-tip for you...
    Take your seatpost out, and use it as an extension bar ont he hope QR.
    I had to do that several times, even though I'm the kind of monster than will occasionally strip threads on wheelnuts by mistake.
  • miss notax
    Great, cheers guys :D

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Also, you don;t need to take the wheel off if you're repairing the puncture. Just 'unbead' the bit of tyre where the puncture is, take the damaged bit of tube out, repair it, and put it all back in.

And get Shimano QRs, they're grrrrreat!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    :?
    Quite often, I will have abso-fuggin-lutely no idea where the puncture is without taking the innertube out and examining it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably easier just to take the wheel off, that way you can sit comfortably in a pile of mud in the rain while you fix it.
    I think it's the rain that causes punctures.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Aye, you're probably right.
    Although to be honest, I usually only head out for the mud-sitting. the mountain bike is just the method I use to get there.
  • miss notax
    Ok, possibly a dim questions alert here, but I take it that skewers are standard sizes front and rear? I have a standard wheel set up so as far as I know it shold all be standard - if there is such a thing?!!

• Anonymous
    yes, QRs are standard.
  • miss notax
    Cheers :D