Why am I feeling so trashed?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
After a hectic weekend, back in the office for a rest today :lol:

Both Notax and I are trying to ramp up the miles in advance of the Afan Monster and, I assume, are getting fitted in the process. However we always seem to feel so flipping shattered now! I don't think we are overtraining, we both eat well, we're both fit and healthy - what's going on :? ?

We did two laps of Cwmcarn yesterday afternoon - admittedly one after another - but nothing too strenuous, and I am feeling pooped today!

We are doing a big ride at the weekends, a few hours quite quick at least once a week after work, and a further trip to the gym or similar another evening.... You hear about people training for hours every day - we are certainly not doing that!

Any thoughts on what we are doing wrong would be appreciated!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    in what way ? legs ? phyiscal tiredness ? mental fatigue ?

My guess is either not enough of a particular type of food stuff, possibly carbs.. or maybe even liquids.

You doing anything to replace lost salts/electrolytes ?
  • miss notax
    Hmmm, I guess a general tiredness and feeling BLEURGH - like I could quite happily curl up under my desk and go to sleep for a hour or two :lol:

My legs don't actually feel too bad muscle-wise, if you see what I mean!

I ride with a 3 litre camelbak (weak squash) and will get through most if not all of that on a ride. I must admit that I don't tend to stop to eat anything (like an energy bar etc) when i'm riding - maybe that would help? I think our general diet is pretty good also. Does actual body mass come into it at all? Being quite petite, I have often wondered whether people with a bigger body mass have more 'in reserve'..... Or perhaps I am just rambling like a lunatic and should shut up :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Using that logic i'd be able to ride for 24 hours without stopping lol :)

Not necessarily the 'during' but the before and after i was asking really ?

As you say it was a comfortable ride i don't think you're going out too hard etc... (although i may regret some of these things when you trounce me at the Monster)
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, maybe a bit more care about what we eat and drink afterwards to aid recovery would be in order.... I don't really give much thought to that usually :?

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    R&R is just as important as exercise. Take it easy this week try some easy stretches pilates/balance ball that sort of thing, drink and eat well and I guarantee by the next bike ride you will feel better than you have for some time.

It's important to realise when you are not physically/mentally up to the challenge and call it a day.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I find diet is important.

one of the most important is wehn you eat things, Like its pointless having huge carbs with no protein for instance after a ride, you need proteins salts and so on to recover. So carbo loading before, protein after.
    Omega 3 oils really help the system absorb more protein(this is what fixes the dmg you do to your muscles) and Milk is apparently the best sort of natural protein that your body uses to rebuild.

As Blitz says rest is as important as, but seriously look at the timing of your diet to when your body needs the input, i had to do this last year when i was tyring and it helped me no end.
  • miss notax
    Thanks, i'll give that a go :D

I try and eat lots of carbs before a big ride, but don't pay much attention to what I eat afterwards so maybe that's where i'm going wrong.......

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Make sure you take on PLENTY of water and carbs.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    how much rest are you getting between training/rides?

make sure you get enough a couple of days off is sometimes better than pushing through feeling poo...as i found out when i got glandular fever and was knocked out for over 6 months......
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    how much rest are you getting between training/rides?

make sure you get enough a couple of days off is sometimes better than pushing through feeling poo...as i found out when i got glandular fever and was knocked out for over 6 months......
  • miss notax
    Hiya :D

We are only riding about three days a week (most) so i'm pretty sure we are not doing too much!

Notax suggested that maybe we are just getting old, which I am refusing to acknowledge as a possibility :wink::lol:

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    3 a week is fine I consider that a min to get decent levels of fitness

And we never get older :p though i have a dodgy hip these days :p keep working the diet i honestly found that helped most. Prtein for recovery, i like milklshakes but some peopel use protein shakes but they all seem to end up tubby as round the middle.
  • miss notax
    Hmm, don't want to end up feeling ok but 2 stone fatter :shock: :lol:

Will give that a go, thanks :D

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited May 2011
    miss notax wrote:
    Hmm, don't want to end up feeling ok but 2 stone fatter :shock: :lol:

Will give that a go, thanks :D

Find recovery drinks a godsend.

You don't really need them if you eat reasonably soon after a ride (at your usual eating time).. but if you've travelled to a trail it can be hours before you eat.

I like these... http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com

Main reason is that they taste pretty good... but more importantly.... the powder can be bought in sachets - enough to make up a 750ml drink... so just leave a sports bottle of water in the car and a sachet - and you can mix up the drink as soon as you getback to the car.

No need to worry about putting on weight - as long as you keep within your calorie intake. i.e. if you use a recovery drink post ride until your next proper meal... just reduce what you have later on.
    I sometimes use the shakes for weight management....and replace lunch after a gym session with just a shake. Think they are around 250 cals.
    Simon
  • miss notax

I think I actually tried one of the shakes as a freebie after an enduro event earlier in the year... Was very nice!

Might give the powders a try... I think Notax is a bit cynical about stuff like this so I tend to avoid it too, but I think it's probably time to give it a go now and enter the modern world :wink:

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    miss notax wrote:

I think I actually tried one of the shakes as a freebie after an enduro event earlier in the year... Was very nice!

Might give the powders a try... I think Notax is a bit cynical about stuff like this so I tend to avoid it too, but I think it's probably time to give it a go now and enter the modern world :wink:

They do taste good for what they are.

I would say that a bottle of low fat milk mixed with some fresh fruit in a blender would be as good if not better.... but for me it's not going to happen post ride in the car park.

But it does depend on whether you eat soon afterwards or not. I generally don't bother eating post ride as I have a family with kids.. so have to last until the next planned meal.. not ideal - hence why the shake option works for me.
    Simon
  • miss notax
    Yep, that makes sense!

Having thought about it, after Sundays ride we were busy for the next few hours so didn't eat dinner for about 3 or more hours after stopping riding. I munched on a few crisps and drank some squash (probably not enough) but nothing else. I think this has all hit the nail on the head....

We ride each week with a group but always eat immediately afterwards (and feel ok the day after). I am definitely seeing a pattern forming here :wink: 8)

Cheers guys :D