Giant Defy range

SimonLyons
SimonLyons Posts: 203
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Went and had a look at some bikes this weekend -not to buy just out of interest.

There seem to be "big" changes in the Defy range - not just component down grades.

None of the (Aluminium frame) Giant Defy range comes with a carbon fork.
All the rims were Giant own brand - don't know if that is a good thing or bad.

Comments

• crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 11
    I think the defy 4 has a cromoly fork but the 1, 2 and 3 have carbon forks.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Giant's road bike range confuse the hell out of me.

What is the point of buying the Defy range if you can now get a TCR in aluminum? I assume the Defy has a longer head tube for "comfort" but if the TCR geometry hasn't changed from the Bikeradar bike of the year, then the TCR is comfortable too the point of making the Defy pointless (this was a comparison of the carbonfibre versions).

What's the point of both the Defy and TCR carbon ranges when one will do? Why have a second and third TCR carbon range - presumably better quality carbonfibre. Surely different model names would help.

Lastly, all but the Defy 4 come with carbon forks.

I wouldn't get Giant these days, I'd get a less popular brand - like Jamis - with a higher spec.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Just searched for Defy 1 specification 2011

"Fork: Advanced-Grade, Alloy OverDrive Steerer"

does this still mean a carbon fork or am I being thick?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Carbon fork, alloy steerer tube (the bit that fits inside the headtube).

That's what my 2011 Defy 3 has, in any case.

Also, as far as I can tell the TCRs have no provision for a rack or mudguards, which would have eliminated them from my options when I was bike shopping.