Avid elixir adjustment?

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Probably a simple answer to this...I have some slight pads rub on my front rotor. Rotor is aligned and true - I've tried pushing the pistons back in, which works for about 1-2 stops and then the rub is back. I have also tried loosening the bolts that attach the brake to the frame, giving it a couple of pumps to see if this will centre it.,.,,,no joy.

any other tips? Thanks

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I have had this problem with my elixirs.
    Try manually alligning the brake if you haven't done so allready as the 3D allignment system makes it hard to allign.
    Is the disk warped?
    Is the pad spring completly worn out?

If you find a way of sorting this out for a good amount of time other than these please post it on this forum as I would like to give it a go.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mccraque wrote:
    Probably a simple answer to this...I have some slight pads rub on my front rotor. Rotor is aligned and true - I've tried pushing the pistons back in, which works for about 1-2 stops and then the rub is back. I have also tried loosening the bolts that attach the brake to the frame, giving it a couple of pumps to see if this will centre it.,.,,,no joy.

any other tips? Thanks

will do nothing as there is no adjustment there. the bolts that hold the caliper to the adapter now that might do something.

but it sounds more like you just need to get them used.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mccraque
    They've had a good few months to bed in and unfortunately have not done so just yet!

I'll try the other bolts you mention, Nick...
  • nicklouse
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Mccraque
    a read of the manual made the whole thing worse. Bollocks. I hate bikes.
  • nicklouse
    in what way?

what did you do?
  • Mccraque
    I pushed the pistons out again, loosened the bolt that hold the caliper to the adaptor and gave a couple of squeezes to centre... It now seems even worse...wheel comes to a stop after a couple of turns.

It's a very fine margin....when the wheel is on the fork but the QR not tightened, the brake is fine. As soon as you clamp it shut, it begins to rub again. I am trying to set the thing when clamped shut, obviously.

Am sure it's something very simple...but am buggered if I can find what! :?
  • nicklouse
    sounds like you need to tighten the bolts a bit less. or align the caliper a bit more manually and not rely on the self positioning.