New rider, shoulder op, nervous

snowden_88
snowden_88 Posts: 174
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all

New to this forum thing, so bare with me.

Looking to start biking, bit nervous as I had shoulder surery for several dislocations 9 months ago. Still recovering, nearly there. To put it plainly, Iv got fat, no exercise in over a year due to this injury. Running is boring and I previously had a gym membership but the pretty girls and muscle men put me to shame so I never went. Gyms are awkward places!

So, I really am interested in starting biking. I live in the middle of Thetford Forest so its perfect, it has a mix of trails so I can gradually build up my confidence.

My budget is £300, Im a noob, I don't know what specs im looking for. I'm 5ft 7 12 stone so not huge. Iv been looking on allterraincycles.com as they do finance deals.

Looking at-

2011 Switchback Sport Hardtail MTB Bike
2011 Frontier Sport Hardtail MTB Bike
Orbea 2011 Tuareg Hardtail MTB Bike

with the Orbea looking like my favourite. Mostly because it looks good and more reliable than the others.

What do you guys think? Help appreciated

Thanks
"it's like a gift, you know? It's like I can't control it"

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got any direct links to these bikes?
  • snowden_88
  • supersonic
    Very little in them, will come down to what fits best.

If you can stretch to this though:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/124789.html

Superb bike.
  • snowden_88
    Iv been reading on here that the Tyax is a good bike. Thing is, if I go £350 I'll then see a bike I like for £400, then I'll see one for £450 and keep going up thinking "meh, whats £50?"

Are the bikes I picked any good then? What about the

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/121100.html?

The missus would kill me if I go any higher
  • supersonic
    The Revel is on the same level as the first three: what the Tyax gets for your extra 50 quid is 24 gears (these are smoother, wider ranging, better made and a stronger rear wheel), hydraulic disc brakes (very good in the wet, and £100 on their own!) and most important of all a fork with hydraulic damping (this adds control over bumps). As it was £500 it is very good value. Not many at 500 quid can match it!
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    supersonic wrote:
    Very little in them, will come down to what fits best.

If you can stretch to this though:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/124789.html

Superb bike.

I would save up the £50 that is a much better bike brakes alone are worth it
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • snowden_88
    What do you guys think to this? I know its a step down but the price might be worth it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1156
  • supersonic
    Without knowing the spec or inticacies of condition, nor being able to try it, I would avoid, like I would most 2nd hand bikes if you are a beginner. The shop will help make sure it fits, build it, check it for free, offer after sales care and you have a warranty.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Super is undoubtedly right about the risks of used bikes. However, if you are willing to take that risk you might find some decent bikes with disc brakes and reasonable gears, plus a fair bit lighter and tougher than your current list. If you have any friends who can help you look over a bike, I would be tempted to find collection only used bikes in your budget.

£300 will get you Sepcialized Hardrock, low to mid range trek, marin etc upper end halfords brands Cararra and boardman.

these will have better front forks (which if you are a bit heavy will be useful), disc brakes, better gears and lighter components. So worth a look if you are willing to take the risk.
  • snowden_88
    thanks for your replies

whats everyones experience with allterraincycles.co.uk?

does anyone know how there finance application process is? Is it all done instantly or do you have to fill in forms and return by post?
  • snowden_88
    what about this Mongoose Tyax? Is it any good. Does it compare to the one you posted?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 378wt_1195

sys £259 in buy it now but £199 in advert
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    You need to try a few bikes out, figure out what geometry suits and what sort of riding you want to do.
  • keith1200rs
    keith1200rs Posts: 97
    I would suggest you try the local bike shop where you can get a trial ride. You may want something with a more upright riding position to minimise the strain on your shoulder.

Keith
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    12 stone is hardly fat is it, I am 5 10" and just under 12 stone so you maybe need to lose say 3 lbs about for your ideal weight v height which to be honest you could lose in two weeks with regular cycling and good diet.
  • snowden_88
    I was only 10 stone before my op

Going back to my shoulder, I think I will probably go for the GT Avalanche 3.0 but I hear its handlebars are low so this will put pressure on my shoulder, right?

Iv taken out a credit card as suggested so can got o £350. pauls Cycles is only 5 miles from so can anyone recommend a decent bike under £350 on there? Ill be checking them out on friday :)
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    snowden_88 wrote:
    Going back to my shoulder, I think I will probably go for the GT Avalanche 3.0 but I hear its handlebars are low so this will put pressure on my shoulder, right?
    wordnumb wrote:
    You need to try a few bikes out, figure out what geometry suits and what sort of riding you want to do.
    I would suggest you try the local bike shop where you can get a trial ride. You may want something with a more upright riding position to minimise the strain on your shoulder.

Very easy to swap stock bars for risers, which can significantly change your rding position.
  • Tutterz
    Tutterz Posts: 27
    Why don't have a look at going second hand? some right bargains out there to be had if you look hard enough!
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    When you get your bike remember to take it easy at first and don't try and do anything too difficult. Just because everyone else will be riding like nut jobs doesn't mean you need too (well not for the first week anyway :D )

Seriously it might be worth while allocating £20 of your budget for a local bike shop to set the bike up properly for you with regards to riding position.
    Steve C
  • snowden_88
    yeh, definitely going to LBS. Cant take any chances with my shoulder. I live 5 miles from Pauls Cycles so going there tomorrow.

Can anyone pick a choice of 3 under £350 on there website? or just 1?

Thanks