Click sound when putting chain under pressure

Daveandhiscube
Daveandhiscube Posts: 13
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, help needed, I have a click sound every now and then when riding, the bike has new shimano cassette and chain and the front rings don't look worn neither does the guide wheels. The noise is hard to locate as sometimes sounds like it's coming from the cassette end and other times front end!

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

The bike is a cube acid and a year old

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what gear combo?

checked the pedals/BB/rings/frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Try tightening stuff. Clicks like that can be almost anything.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    As above also - what kind of a click is it? A slow or a very quick one? Does it happen when you are out of the saddle in particular?

I had a clicking problem that I though was down to the BB, as there were clicks when I got out of the saddle, but it turned out to be the headset! A bit of grease on there sorted it.
  • HI it has xt rear mech slx cassette and chain, deore front chainrings, a shimano BB (bottom end rubbish) and deore front mech. M475 shimano rear freewheel Hub.

The clicking does happen more when i stand up however sometimes also when putting power on sitting down.

The noise is definately coming from gears BB or hub etc.

It sounds similar to a gear not meshing properly but ive cleaned and indexed the gears over and over still no joy??
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Check to see that your rear wheel is seated properly in the drop-out. A small thing, to be sure, but it can create a really elusive and annoying clicking as the chain then doesn't mesh properly over the cassette teeth.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Could also be crankbolts bolts, pedals, chainring bolts, bars, front mech rubbing, something with the chain meshing.

My advice is to ignore it if nothing seems to be going wrong. My road bike has been doing that for a year.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • nicklouse

The noise is definitely coming from gears BB or hub etc.

bet it is not.

also check your bars and the brake levers and gear pods if they are touching.

Or read through the link in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Is it full sus?
    Friend with a Lapiere had a clicking noise when under pressure.
    We all thought it was a BB.
    Turns out its the suspension pivet points.
  • Thanks for all your advice will go over the bike and check everything is tight hopefully that will sort it.

Thanks again
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Could be coming from your saddle? Dismantle and clean....
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I had a similar click/creak, turned out the saddle rails needed tightening and a dab of grease.

But it could be anything. Are there any 'physical' symptoms, the chain skipping/jumping or anything?

Could even be a shoelace end clipping the crank arm as you pedal!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Definately coming from pedals chain etc, just been out on it it's not all the gears I get it some worse than others? As I said though chainrings look fine??
  • Simon G
    Simon G Posts: 41
    Knees?

:D:D:D:D

(Sorry!)
    Simon G
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    it may need grease on the threads of the bb and pedals if you still have it after checking everything above, how do you wash your bike? If you you use a power hose be carefull around any area that contains grease it can wash it out
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters
  • nicklouse
    definitely coming from pedals chain etc, just been out on it it's not all the gears I get it some worse than others? As I said though chainrings look fine??
    so which? and what crank position?
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Is it full sus?
    Friend with a Lapiere had a clicking noise when under pressure.
    We all thought it was a BB.
    Turns out its the suspension pivet points.

I had a creaking before I went out up Penmachno this weekend was a lot worse afterwards sounded like the seattube but was in fact the shock pivot on the toptube. Surprised it didn't ovalise at all but certainly worth checking things like that anyway.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    Mine did this then snapped..... twice!! New chain On order.. COme on crc
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    Have you any spare pedals you can try to rule the pedals out ?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you've ruled out gears and pedals and all bolts are tight then it sounds like you might have a flat spot in one of the bb bearings. Common problem with low end bottom brackets. It's like a click feeling in your feet at the same point every few crank rotations.

Another reason may be a bent chainring or bent tooth causing the chain to shift slightly and then click when it catches again.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I have a similar ticking sound, spent an hour or so messing with the bike on Tuesday evening until it was shifting perfectly while in the workstand. Went out for a ride last night and the ticking and shifting were both worse... :?

I think my ticking is coming from my chain. A couple of weeks ago it came off the inside of the granny ring and got jammed, needed some force to get it out, so I think I've bent it somewhere. Have got a new one sitting in the garage so I'll fit that tonight and see if the noise goes away.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Bent / twisted chains can definitely cause a clicky feeling.

See how you get on with your new one ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8