Sintered pads – squealing and judder

wheezee
wheezee Posts: 461
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I changed my pads a good 60 miles ago for a sintered pair (front only). The squealing is horrible, they don't seem to have any decent power, and they cause the fork to judder when braking to a stop.

My question is; could it be a simple case of cleaning the rotors, or should I chuck the new pads, and get a fresh pair of organics? I have BB7s on a 29er with a Reba Race fork (if it makes a difference).

Thanks!

Comments

• rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    It can't hurt to clean the rotors with alcohol and see what happens.

I had some Superstar sintered pads and they made a horrible noise if I applied the brakes for more than about 15 seconds at a time. I didn't experience any judder and they lasted a long time but I eventually swapped them for organics as the noise drove me crazy. I understand this is pretty common with sintered pads.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the Formulas guide to noisy brakes or any of the other similar topics in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wheezee
    Thanks for pointing it out. None of it quite describes my problem, but if dpaulett's experience is at all typical, I think I may swap them out. I'm not particularly hard on pads, so the sintered's main strength is probably wasted on me.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have always found sintered are prone to squeel, fine in the winter but for the summer you want organic or kevlar.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Sounds like the pads are either contaminated or scorched/glazed.
    I would try getting some very fine sandpaper and rubbing the pads rough. Clean the rotor and adjust the break caliper also cleaning the pistons. Make sure the disc is not warped. If it still squeals you'll just have to get new pads.
    I don't care what anyone says, if they are set up nice they will not squeal in the dry.
    And they certainly should not judder. That is a sure sign they are are set up poor.
    Good luck..
  • wheezee
    But I set them up myself... Oh. Wait... :roll:
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    poor set up.

Do bb7 move both pads or just one?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • wheezee
    Just the one, although you can adjust them both.
  • wheezee
    Crikey, I had no idea that was a possibility. But no, there's nothing like that marked on them. They're just bog-standard 185 Avid rotors.
  • paramart
    paramart Posts: 69
    iv,e run sintered all winter no probs, but on sat went up to the peak district and the rear started to make a really loud noise, then the front went out in sympathy with it, the bike vibrated like mad, tried soaking them by riding through a river but still did it, the front eventually stopped but the rear has carried on, most probably just got too hot or something, they are designed for wet conditions, or it could just be the compound is not right mine are from superstar as well but never had any probs before
  • wheezee
    Mine are made by Aztec, though I doubt that's significant.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't worry about rotors. Shimano say resin only. That's just so you don't moan when they wear out in 5 years time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools