Le Terrier (Forest of Bowland)

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
I've just signed up for the 102 miler 8)

Good route if anyone is NW based

http://www.le-terrier.co.uk/

route here

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/24900324
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• browny584
    browny584 Posts: 18
    Are flat bars and bandana's allowed?? :D
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'll be there and I'm really looking forward to it. It looks a great route. I just hope the wind has dropped a bit by then. I've done two sportives in the last three weeks and the wind has been an issue on both.
    I hope a few more sign up before closing date because the organisers deserve more support than they are getting!
    I'll be on my red and white Hewitt wearing Cervo Rosso kit. It would be great to say hello to Maddog and any other Bike Radar posters that are on the ride.
  • maddog 2
    browny584 wrote:

I'd let them in...

Bandana-Bandana.jpg
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nickwill
    maddog 2 wrote:
    browny584 wrote:

I'd let them in...

Bandana-Bandana.jpg
    I don't think they'd let you in though! :D
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    What's with the dirt road section?
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • nickwill
    Steve GT wrote:
    What's with the dirt road section?
    I'm speaking from a position of semi ignorance not having ridden the road in question, but I don't think it's a 'dirt road'. From what I can gather it's a fairly badly surfaced steep tarmaced road with a lot of gates in awkward positions( i.e. just before or in the middle of the steepest pitches).

It looks like a decent day out. Are you tempted to sign up Steve GT?
  • Steve GT
    Hi Nick.
    Thanks for heads up on the 'dirt road'. It was putting me off a bit.
    I have been concentrating on getting the missus fit enough to do the Vatterrundan ride in Sweden this year and as a consequence I have been seeing a drop in my level of fitness. I have done no tough rides that test my climbing legs, so it's about time I do a decent ride again. I am more than likely going to enter.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • ti_buron
    ti_buron Posts: 2
    I did a rece ride around the 67 mile route last week including the tarmac surfaced access road/bridle path from Roeburndale through to Stock-a-bank.

I didn't mind the gates, I was fighting against a fierce headwind for nearly the entire ride and after 50 odd miles of that I was happy to break up the long drag. Those flat bars of mine just don't lend to an aero-tucking position!

It is a good quality singletrack road, much better in fact than that certain parts of the road on the climb up over the tops and then down to Wray just before. You will also have to watch out going up Stock-a-bank later on, as the winter has destroyed a very short section of the road surface on the initial steep bends and you need to ride in the middle of the road to avoid it.

The scenery is awe-inspiring, the roads are usually very quiet and, if the organisation is like last year, then it should be a great day.
  • nickwill
    Steve GT wrote:
    Hi Nick.
    Thanks for heads up on the 'dirt road'. It was putting me off a bit.
    I have been concentrating on getting the missus fit enough to do the Vatterrundan ride in Sweden this year and as a consequence I have been seeing a drop in my level of fitness. I have done no tough rides that test my climbing legs, so it's about time I do a decent ride again. I am more than likely going to enter.

Hope to see you there Steve, haven't seen you for a long time. I'm rubbish at recognising people, but I will be on my red Hewitt wearing Cervo Rosso kit, so if I don't spot you, please come across and say hello!
  • Steve GT
    I will do Nick.
    I will more than likley be on a Sabbath September wearing a Marmotte jesey.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am looking forward to this one as having done the lakes/dales/moors/peak district and every part of Scotland its a part of the world I have not seen on the bike and looking to score another few climbs on my 100 list of the UK.

Hope to see you there Nick but I have lost a fair bit of weigt since I last seen you(some I can ill afford to loose now) so you may not notice me unless you see me front on :lol:

Anybody else I will be on my black Storck with some combination of black Assos gear which I have been building on over the years. :roll:
    Brian B.
  • nickwill
    Brian B wrote:
    I am looking forward to this one as having done the lakes/dales/moors/peak district and every part of Scotland its a part of the world I have not seen on the bike and looking to score another few climbs on my 100 list of the UK.

Hope to see you there Nick but I have lost a fair bit of weigt since I last seen you(some I can ill afford to loose now) so you may not notice me unless you see me front on :lol:

Anybody else I will be on my black Storck with some combination of black Assos gear which I have been building on over the years. :roll:

Snap, but some of it went back on over the winter!
    :?
  • young dog
    young dog Posts: 64
    Hi fellas.

I did the HC recce ride 2 weeks ago. The report is on www.le-terrier.co.uk It's on the lefthand side of the page.
    I rode it with an Ironman and a well known local guy who can ride huge distances, both where a bit stronger than me. It will provide it's own difficulties especially 'dick hill'.
    It's an excellent route if I say so myself, the extension has brought some fast riding roads into play plus another hill.
    Would be great if you had a chat if you see me.

Graham
  • nickwill
    young dog wrote:
    Hi fellas.

I did the HC recce ride 2 weeks ago. The report is on www.le-terrier.co.uk It's on the lefthand side of the page.
    I rode it with an Ironman and a well known local guy who can ride huge distances, both where a bit stronger than me. It will provide it's own difficulties especially 'dick hill'.
    It's an excellent route if I say so myself, the extension has brought some fast riding roads into play plus another hill.
    Would be great if you had a chat if you see me.

Graham

Would be great to have a chat with you, perhaps after the ride. I enjoyed your account. I will be writing about my experiences in my blog.
    Really looking forward to it!
  • maddog 2
    I rode the 'broken' section the other day - it's okay, just a bit gravelly
  • Steve GT
    Will parking be a big problem?
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • young dog
    Loads of free parking and if you use the car park it is about £1.00 for the day. It will be interesting to see what you think of our Olympic Special after you have ridden this!!
  • young dog
    I see that Dave Lloyd is riding the long route!
  • maddog 2
    the website doesn't say where it starts and finishes, or at what time, or where the food stops are - unless I'm looking in the wrong place of course.

Can you provide this info?
  • young dog
    Rider notes go out after midnight when online entries finish.
    HC route start is 6.30-7.30, cut off times set at 10mph from 7.30. Fastest rider time set at 17mph.
    Bring fresh legs, looks like the weather will be good!!
  • maddog 2
    cheers

early start then :wink:
  • Brian B
    What is the address and postcode of the HQ?

Might be just my tired eyes but cannot see it on the website. Theres an address on cyclosport but they have been known to get it wrong before
    Brian B.
  • nickwill
    Brian B wrote:
    What is the address and postcode of the HQ?

Might be just my tired eyes but cannot see it on the website. Theres an address on cyclosport but they have been known to get it wrong before

This might help!
    http://www.williamsonpark.com/pages/location.html#
  • maddog 2
    young dog - I've not received any 'rider notes' yet.

Given that the ride is on Sunday..... that only leaves tomorrow's post.
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    No notes for me either. So, please can we have the notes (start times, feed locations etc.) on here ASAP please. I won't have access to email for the weekend so I need to know now - and I'm sure I won't be the only person in this situation.
  • nickwill
    Here's a copy of my rider's notes email! I got mine about 11PM last night.

Rider Notes
    Firstly may I thank you for supporting our event. 100% of all profits go to local charities.
    Start Times; Le Terrier HC, 6.30am-7.30am.
    67 Miles. 7.30am-8.30am.
    45miles. 8.30am-9.00am
    Cut off times; Whitewell-67mile route & HC route.11.30am
    Slaidburn-all routes 2.00pm.
    Feedstations; Bolton by Bowland- HC Route 44miles.
    Slaidburn- Main Feedstation all routes. Toilets.
    Wray- all routes
    Scout Camp- HC & 67mile.
    Finish- Homemade Soup, Bread Rolls, Tea & Coffee.
    Registration in Ashton Memorial in the centre of Williamsons Park, Wyresdale Rd, Lancaster LA1 3DY
    Start- Entrance Gate to Park on Wyresdale Rd. Finish through entrance gate to Park on Quernmore Rd.
    Parking- Free on roads, nominal charge for Park Car Park. Park near start or finish, most riders get ready from their cars, register then go straight to the start. These routes ride very slow, please allow plenty of time to make the cut off points!!
    I have one of the Club mobiles until Sunday night. If you need to know anything at all, or would just like to have a chat, then please ring me on 07793 860577. We would also appreciate your feedback on anything about our event, good or bad. Also, we have plans for 2 'special' routes for 2012- Le Terrier The Olympian, routes worthy of Olympians!
    Enjoy your ride & many thanks.
    Graham Orr

All enquiries regarding this email should be directed to orr790@btinternet.com.
  • Brian B
    Thanks for the info Nick
    Brian B.
  • maddog 2
    now got my emailed notes too.
  • nickwill
    Just got back from an epic day in the Forest of Bowland. I will write an account in my blog later, but suffice to say that this ride is right up there with events like the Fred Whitton and the Etape du Dales. The bare statistics may say otherwise , but I reckon the HC route is probably a harder ride than the Etape du Dales and of similar difficulty to the Fred Whitton. It doesn't have the set piece climbs but it has lots of them and no rest in between with very few fast sections in between. As regards organisation on the day, I found it spot on.
    There are strong suggestions that they will put on an even harder route next year! The mind boggles.
  • maddog 2
    +1

Good day, weather notwithstanding.

Good signposting and well run, and the route (102mile) was excellent I thought - plenty of everything, and lots of technical twisty stuff.

Many thanks :wink: