Show us your BBQ

2»

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Our BBQ is a bit sad really as it consists of a hole in the ground, filled with charcoal when needed and a old grill tray put over the top.

Surprisingly the food comes out pretty well, but it has shown to have one hazard. The cat fell into said hole a couple weeks back and brought ash back through the house. And no the BBQ wasn't lit at the time. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My brother-in-laws wedding in Croatia this week we have pit cooked whole lamb & baby piggy.

totally awesome way to cook and the bloke doing the cooking was a #REALMAN - anyone who can stand next to a pit of hot coals when its 40c :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    DSC02135.jpg

Craigo's BBQ. I have one at every opportunity. It's not exactly a huge mess to sort out. Simply shake all the burnt out coals into your flowerbeds and put new coals in with a few firelighters. (the real mans choice) :lol:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Uk BBq standard seems to be sausages nuked.
    I recently saw a Canadian TV series called 'Licence to grill' which could properly take people through basic BBQ fare such as smoking and top down cooking.
    Those who don't know, think that charcoal flavours the food, when it is the smoke from burning fat which is the factor.
    This is a subject very close to my heart. BBQ is a serious issue. A mans realm. Male thing.. Iron, fire, meat,, Grunt...
    Any girls out there doing this stuff?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Gas is just wrong even if used widely by colonials - the have no source of natural charcoal - hazel charcoal is the way to go. Support your local Charcoal burner
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I use a blowtorch to melt the cheese on top of cooked BBQ'D burgers which I believe earns me man points :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    squeeler wrote:
    It's all well and good but the charcoal /wood evangelists probably only have on or two BBQs a year. with gas and lava rocks you can have a meat feast at the slightst hint of sunshine when I "upgraded" to gas it meant BBQed meat a couple of times a week thru the whole summer. I'm not convinced the extra hassle is worth it?
    The quality of your ingredients is most important IMO

I end up barbecuing at least once a week during summer and autumn, and often during winter and spring.

Using charcoal/wood isn't really a faff if you know how to build fires properly.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    Aidy wrote:
    squeeler wrote:
    It's all well and good but the charcoal /wood evangelists probably only have on or two BBQs a year. with gas and lava rocks you can have a meat feast at the slightst hint of sunshine when I "upgraded" to gas it meant BBQed meat a couple of times a week thru the whole summer. I'm not convinced the extra hassle is worth it?

I end up barbecuing at least once a week during summer and autumn, and often during winter and spring.

Using charcoal/wood isn't really a faff if you know how to build fires properly.

you nearly make it to real man status . do it twice a week at least and light it with a blowtorch ( Ok i light the tinder with a blowtorch) and you will be there.

and yes , learn how to light fires properly and lighterfluid need not be bought leaving more cash for shiny cycling stuff ;|)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Aidy
    Aidy wrote:
    squeeler wrote:

you nearly make it to real man status . do it twice a week at least and light it with a blowtorch ( Ok i light the tinder with a blowtorch) and you will be there.

and yes , learn how to light fires properly and lighterfluid need not be bought leaving more cash for shiny cycling stuff ;|)

Bah, real men bash rocks together to make fire.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Nearly time. Could be this weekend!

I fancy buying something decent this year.

Like the look of the Weber 57cm One Touch.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Aidy
    Nearly time. Could be this weekend!

I fancy buying something decent this year.

Like the look of the Weber 57cm One Touch.

Have to say, despite my initial scepticism, I'm impressed with the 47cm One Touch that I picked up late last year.

Still not entirely convinced that they're worth anything like full price (found one cheaply on ebay) - but it is much nicer than other cheaper barbecues that I've used.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I will be back at the Rents over Easter and I think I might knock up a BBQ for their Let.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • itboffin
    Yesterday we had our annual street BBQ party, out of the shed came our rather tired looking gas BBQ, but when I took a wire brush to the burner the damn thing fell apart.

Off to homebase it was ...we are now the proud owners of a MASSHOOF outback triple burner beast 8)

trouble is this things huge and heavy, so it cant live in the shed which really means it might have to live in the garage with the bikes :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    heres something i whittled up last weekend

20130706_201353_zpsdcd4d99f.jpg

my next project is a calor gas bottle heater for my shed
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    SimonAH wrote:
    I use a blowtorch to melt the cheese on top of cooked BBQ'D burgers which I believe earns me man points :-)

Is it a charcoal blowtorch ? Hmmm ? No man points.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mudcow007 wrote:
    heres something i whittled up last weekend

20130706_201353_zpsdcd4d99f.jpg

my next project is a calor gas bottle heater for my shed

Nice.

Our annual street BBQ is in two weeks and the communal half drum BBQ has had it. The engineers on the street at busy putting together a new on now. I doubt it will be as swish as yours though. Chapeau.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Back in the irresponsible days of my youth, I may once have made a barbeque for a mate's party by cutting a shopping trolley in half; sadly we never thought to take pictures...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    boy am i pissed off, i thought i'd check the new outback bbq which is in the garden and covered with the manufacturers all weather cover, what do i find ....?

Rust, mold on the wood work and damp as hell :evil:

damn piece of crap totally not fit for purpose, but on the plus side I have lit my BBQ at the end of Dec surrounded by ice on lawn, trees and flowers.

Said BBQ has been cleaned again and wedged into a very full garden shed - tetris master 8)
  • itboffin
    Pulled the BBQ out for a test run and created this masterpiece

http://t.co/km4NvR1Oyc

nom 8)
  • itboffin wrote:

nom 8)

Jesus Christ, you fat fucker!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

nom 8)

Jesus Christ, you fat ******!

ssssh now Beril i'll make you one as well if you want X
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Ours will be out tomorrow. Butterflied leg of lamb, chicken wings, aubergine and halloumi. Should be interesting...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.