To buy a new bike or not?

Applespider
Applespider Posts: 506
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
My workplace only offer C2W in a format where you have a 5 week window to apply and then it closes. Last time it stayed closed for 20 months although they have said it shouldn't be as long next time. The window is currently open.

I have a 2010 Trek 7.3fx which I got in Oct 2009 when it was open last. I've commuted most days on it (15ml round trip) from June last year til October and then from March this year. It's in pretty good nick although I suspect the chain/sprockets and the brakepads will need replaced relatively soon.

My question is whether I'd be better off selling the 7.3 while it's still in good condition and before I end up spending money on it. I've no idea how much it's worth although I think it was £450 new.

One LBS has 2010 7.5fx (with carbon forks and a bit lighter) for £500 in my size but not sure how much of an upgrade it would be. Or whether it's just the black/red that I like.

I've also considered the possibility of a road bike but while I did have a quick test ride of a Trek 1.5, it felt v twitchy steering-wise and I felt slightly stretched out. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy commuting on it in London traffic which is where the majority of my cycling miles are.

Very few of my immediate colleagues/friends cycle so they can't really see why I'm even thinking about it. So I'd appreciate any advice from those who do...

Comments

• geordiefella
    geordiefella Posts: 302
    hey

i'd be in favour of getting a road bike. something like the caad10 or an aluminium trek. i rode one first time. felt super twitchy, too light, fragile even. i can tell you now, after 2 years commuting on one and going from a flat bar, i wouldn;t go back. faster, less tiring, more agile. i'd definately make the move, then, when you're comfy, try the flat bar again. you can sell it afterwards once you've adapted.

good luck!
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    keep the old bike as a back up, you know it makes sense ......
    FCN 3/5/9
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    OP

I'm going to buy a new bike

highlight the above line of text

copy it

now edit your original title and replace it with the copied text.

you know it makes sense :wink:
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Are you happy with your current bike? If you are, you might as well keep using it as the cost of a cassette, chain & brakepads will be a lot less than the price of a new bike, even under C2W.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    LOL! shouldbeinbed - I know I want one... it's whether it makes sense to do it.

Jamesco - I do like my current bike but it's got a few little quirks that worry me a little.

geordiefella - thanks for the news that a roadie would feel better once I got used to it. I have a few days off this week so might go for a wander around various bike shops and try them out. The biking buddy who came with me when I was looking at the Trek thought that it was a tad too big framewise which might not have helped.
  • samoht
    samoht Posts: 7
    I tried out the Soho Deluxe, 7.3 and 1.5 when looking for a commuter (12 miles e/w).
    I got the 1.5 as it was the only one that felt exciting.

Even coming from a fairly short-reach MTB, I don't find it a big stretch. I'm 6 foot and have the 58cm one - I suggest trying to get a test on one that is the right size for you, you shouldn't expect to be uncomfortably stretched out.

Yes it felt a bit twitchy at first, but it soon became second nature as I've learnt to lean the bike rather than consciously 'steering' it. I'm pretty comfortable commuting on it now.

I wouldn't buy the 7.5, as I doubt it would feel much different, and your current bike should still have plenty of life in it. Brake pads surely aren't a major expense?

To be honest, keeping the 7.3 you have is the most pragmatic approach. A 1.5 is a more expensive bike, and the staff warned me about the combined brake/gear levers being vulnerable in a crash and expensive to replace. And I doubt the ultimate speed difference is that great.

It's really up to you, whether you want to take the plunge with a road bike. The drop bars look better (IMO !), and give you more options especially in strong headwinds like today. And overall it's lighter and more responsive. But it's more of a 'want' than a 'need' thing - depends how much you want it.