Gears on first bike

pauljonesref
pauljonesref Posts: 15
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Should I be getting a 18 , 21 , 24 , 27 speed witch is best for a beginer trail rider ??? Cheers paul
to infinity and beyond

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Apart from new 10 speed rear which is I would avoid at this point due to incompatibility with previous systems, you might as well go for 27.
    Plenty of ratios and good availability of parts. Could be bargains as well as people change to 30 speed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cheers guys im looking at 27 but more options on 24 but will get 27 if i can cheers paul
    to infinity and beyond
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The main difference between 7,8,9 & 10 on the back is the difference in teeth big to small.

for example a 10 speed (30 total) gives you the choice of 36 teeth down to 11 fairly smoothly.
    a 9 speed typically has 34-11
    an 8 speed gives 32-11.

Assuming everything else being equal (which it wont be) the difference between a 32 and 36 is going to be the difference between being able to climb a 1 in 4 vs a 1 in 3 (roughly).

Although this is an overly simplified view of it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think the rest of the equipment will be more important. Good forks etc. Depends on the bike.