Sand - Advise

Moostah
Moostah Posts: 27
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hey all, I am after some advise regarding trail riding in sand.

I have been riding some woodland single track/trails, and I keep encountering small, very sharp/steep climbs that are just covered in thick deep sand. It is like riding into a wall you just stop dead, unfortunately some of the climbs are situated after small descents with a sharp blind corners meaning I have lost a lot of momentum after slowing for these.

I struggle to climb it in a 33 chain ring, and find that if I drop straight to the 22 it spins so fast I still go no where. I have read advise before on here about being in the right gear before getting to a climb but I just can't find the right one for this, as there is sometimes not enough time or space for me to have seen it and be ready. I am encouraged to see a lot of other people run into the same problems and have to dismount, so its not just me struggling with them including what I assume to be good riders on some very expensive machinery.

Is there some trick to these sorts of climbs?

Thanks.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    So what do you do when you are spinning too fast in the 32 ring, you change up of course on the cassette, same when you're in the granny.

If good riders are getting off it's because it's not rideable otherwise they are not good riders also.

Also just stay away from sand, it's lethal to the components on your bike.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Once absolute grip is gone some things are just not rideable. Skill will get you closer to using any grip available, but can't work miracles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Moostah
    Moostah Posts: 27
    Cheers guys.

I will try and change up if I can, but the sand is so deep I stop so quickly. Hopefully once summer arrives the rain will come with it and make the ground a lot different.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    One of these might help:
    BK3181.jpg
    Front Tire Surly Larry: 3.8" Black
    Rear Tire Surly Endomorph: 3.7" Black
    Tubes: Surly Toob. Big. Black. Butyl. Floats small dogs easily
    A lower tyre pressure will give an even larger footprint

But yeah, some things are just unridable and no matter how good you are on a bike you can't see around blind corners. Knowledge of the trail you're riding is a big help here :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe