What lube and where

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
can anyone advise what type/make of lube to use on which part of bike? Also had problems in the past with stuck seat posts, what should I use for this and other areas lible to seize

Comments

• Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Seatposts need grease in them any grease for alloy but specific grease if your using carbon also grease bearings pivots axles and threads lightly. use wet or dry chain lube on the chain wet in the winter dry in the summer. small amounts of grease for clamping areas like bars and stem again any for alloy but specific for carbon.

Read here for more in depth.
    http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/greas ... bikes.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seatposts don't need greasing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Seatposts don't need greasing.
    Agreed.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I was under the impression that, depending on materials involved, (alu-alu, alu-steel), seatposts can indeed 'weld' themselves together through electrolytic corrosion(?) if not greased/removed regularly.

Can you give an explanation as to why 'seatposts' don't need greasing please?

edit: I meant galvanic corrosion.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cooldad
    Just shift the seatpost every year or two.
    Grease just makes clamping harder, no real point to it unless you park your bike up in the garden for a few years.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    cooldad wrote:
    Just shift the seatpost every year or two.
    Grease just makes clamping harder, no real point to it unless you park your bike up in the garden for a few years.

OK, thanks. I thought galvanic corrosion could occur faster than a year though.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cooldad
    I move my post every ride, so maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but does take a while.
    With my road bike I wobble it a bit every few months.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    If you have ever had a complete nightmare getting a post out of a frame you will grease it lightly, if you have a decent frame with a good qr or locking collar you shouldn't get the post slipping. Also helps with wear on your seatpost the finish won't wear off as quick when regularly moved up and down. if you don't move your seatpost regularly I would definitely put a little in otherwise when you do finally decide to move it or replace it it could become jammed. I don't see the harm in it. :roll:
  • I put a very very small bit of teflon on my post. Not enough to make it slippy, but enough so it doesn't get stuck.
  • cooldad
    Had quite a few bikes over 40 odd years. Never had a problem with seat posts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools