Another tubeless thread

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
a couple of tubeless questions I'm still toying with the idea of going tubeless on my remedy for the summer and if it sucessful maybe my anthem too.
I am running the stock bonty rhythm pro tubeless ready wheels on the remedy
what i need to know is.......
can I run my continental mountain king supersonic folding tyers as tubeless?
what would be the best way to do this if I can??
What would be the advantages / disadvantages against a proper tubeless tyer if I can?
(conti dont do the 2.4 supersonic black chilli in a tubeless and I love this tyer)
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Best way is to use tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jonnyashworth
    what about tubes filled with pies?? I do love pies :D
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • cooldad
    Mince would be good, but steak and kidney's a bit lumpy for sealing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jonnyashworth
    I'll give it a go.... what about mince and onion??? it seems like a tragic waste of filling! :cry:

Anyway back to the more serious buisness of what to do with my contis...... can anyone offer advise??? (that doesnt involve tubes or my beloved pies!)
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • sugdenr
    sugdenr Posts: 69
    Get the rim strip and valve - Evans do it I think it fits all bontys, I just did some dusters with it for a mate and they are cheap too.

Get some 'milk' latex, say, stans or justridingalong own brand

Seal your tyres - follow the vid on stans notubes website - using soapy to show where the tyres is its porous

Best to have a compressor to inflate the tyre strangely using soapy mix to coat the tyre sides helps it seal and inflate, its can be the difference between inflating and not inflating.
  • jonnyashworth
    and thats it???
    That should make My Conti's work just like a UST tyer???
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Having converted many Supersonic tires about 8 pairs I'll give you the low down.

get your rim strip and valve if they are separate thats going to make your life a wee bit easier.

the day before you plan to convert install the rim strip and pop a tube in pump up to 50psi and leave over night.

the next day carefully deflate and pop the bead off one side, remove tube and install valve.

Then get your Stans solution ( which is my recommendation used many other and they don't compare IMHO) and pour in 3 of the red cups into the tire and pop the bead back on.

get an old washing up bottle and put about 1/10 of a bottle of washing up liquid in and about the same water and shake vigorously.

apply to the side of the tire avoiding pointing the bottle down as you only want the suds and not the liquid.

Then get you co2 or compressor ( you need these you can try with a track pump but its hard work and Ive only ever done it on one tire )and give it a blast the tire should pop onto the bead.

give the tire the Stans shake and stand. you will need to top the air pressure up with a track pump as supersonics leak like a sieve on the sidewalls.
    once it can hold some pressure ride the bike its the best way to get the tire air tight, after a couple of hours of riding the tires will not drop much pressure say 5 psi in a week.

Your now tubless with some of the lightest tires in there class with very good puncher protection yours for the win. check the solution every few weeks and top up as needed
  • cooldad
    Still sounds like a massive faff to me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IMO Supersonics are not the best tyres to use, they're very inconsistent. I had some go straight up with a track pump and stay up, other would weep sealant for days.

Schwalbe FTW.
  • jonnyashworth
    right I think I'm getting there now last question....

My bontrager rims are bontrager rhythm pro (scandanium) and are tubeless ready. Does this mean I have to do anything to them? rim tape etc??

It may seem like a faff cooldad but if you never try you will never know! i suppose it a bit like getting 2 women in to bed with you at the same time its a bloody faff but people seem to rave about it! or like getting 8 pies on the same plate its a faff but......... :D
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You need some sort of rim strip- Bontrager do a plastic one, or you can use Stan's rimstrips. I'm not a huge fan of the Bonty ones myself, if nothing else it tends to make tyres incredibly tight, and IMO does little to aid inflation.
  • sugdenr
    sugdenr Posts: 69
    Oh yes, thats all there is to it, just take care to get it right.

Pumping up installed rimstrip/tape and tyres with a tube for a couple of hours is a very good idea. tubeless ready is not tubeless - rather like vanilla flavour ice cream does not contain proper vanilla bean.

A faff - yes but everything to do with a high end MTB is a faff, and I have found an hour faff has saved me multiples in no-faff on the trail with tubes and punctures.