Chain Guides and tensioners

TheDawg343
TheDawg343 Posts: 26
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
OK so I'm having a problem with my chain and front chainring. I have 3 chainrings on the front and an 8sp cassette. When im on the trail i use the middle ring ( 34 t) the most. I have a hardtail and every time i go over a rock or big bump my chain jumps on the chainring and slams back down taking a chip out of the ring? :( i don't know if this is very common with hartails but I'm wondering if using a chain tensioner or guide will solve this problem? And what guide/tensioner would you recommend?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TheDawg343 wrote:
    OK so I'm having a problem with my chain and front chainring. I have 3 chainrings on the front and an 8sp cassette. When im on the trail i use the middle ring ( 34 t) the most. I have a hardtail and every time i go over a rock or big bump my chain jumps on the chainring and slams back down taking a chip out of the ring? :( i don't know if this is very common with hartails but I'm wondering if using a chain tensioner or guide will solve this problem? And what guide/tensioner would you recommend?

sorry.

you think the chain is damaging your 34T chain ring?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm just wondering how you know this is happening? I f I was going over gnarly terrain I wouldn't be looking down at the chainring- in any case it would probably be only visible from the side? :?
    Maybe the chain length is too long?
    My GT scrapper was throwing the chain off the single 36T Deore chainring whenever I changed up(large to small cog) by changing too fast(revoshifters- can go from low to high in an instant), and the only way I could see how it was doing it was on a very remote road which had a long straight.

Hope you've got a decent skid lid! :shock:
  • TheDawg343
    yeh after every ride ride it gets worse and worse bigger chips.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures as I am sorry I do not believe you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TheDawg343
    in the morning its dark now. (ireland)