Ditch or upgrade?

christurbo
christurbo Posts: 432
edited May 2011 in MTB general
As some of you know I have now gone to the expensive world of road cycling. I was planning on buying a nice MTB near the end of summer again, however I just remembered I have this stored away and hardly used!:

Trek 4300.

4e838b42.jpg

Its surprizingly light [I admit that its a hardtail and I am used to heavier Full Susp].

It needs some hydraulic disk brakes, wheelset conversion to suit disks, 100mm Rockshox/Fox forks, and maybe an upgrade to a 9 speed chainset. I have stem/saddle/grips/pedals/etc already.

Is this worth doing? How much would it cost on the second hand market? Or should I just ditch it and buy a decent one as planned end of summer.

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why does it need all that?
    For all those changes probably better off with a new bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Ride it as it is and feel pleased with yourself when you smoke your mates on their new, much more expensive full-sus carbon and Ti superbikes :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Ooh, a new found roadie are you?
    Buy a new hardtail....

And single speed the Trek 4300, stick some 26" slicks on it and use it as a training aid... problem solved.. plus! You'll have three bikes, so WIN!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Ride it as it is and feel pleased with yourself when you smoke your mates on their new, much more expensive full-sus carbon and Ti superbikes :D

Sounds to me like a good idea!

There's nothing wrong with being a MTBer and a roadie, best of both!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    I will have to remember to leave the Lycra when visiting the trails though!

Road cycling has improved my fitness no end - I am sure I would fly around the trail centres now!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Put your baggies over the lycra shorts, thats what I do!
    Richard

Giving it Large