Rotor Catching

trail jacker
trail jacker Posts: 844
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have an issue with my rotors catching and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction in how to fix / stop it...

I have taken the brakes apart, checked the pistons and made sure they weren't sticking when extended, and cleaned the rotors / pads etc. When I physically push the pistons back into the bores there is ample room for the rotor when the pads are clipped back in, but after a few pumps of the lever they don't retract properly.

I run Juicy 5's that are about 4 years old and they are due a bleed. I read in MBR that older brakes can accumulate dust in the bores that affects the pistons movement. Could this be the problem or be contributing to it? And if so, is it worth me getting them bled and serviced? Or should I consider some new ones (seen Shimano Deore brakes going for £25 on PB)?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what do you mean by catching?

continuously? or once a revolution?

dust in the bores! WTF

yes you should clean the outer surfaces of the pistons as part of general servicing.

yes the pistons dont retract that far but they should do evenly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trail jacker
    As in they continually rub on the rotor
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Have you aligned the caliper?
    With mine when I fitted new pads they would stick on because the 2mm allen key on the levers for adjusting reach was to far screw in and the brakes were locked on.
    I adjusted it back and it was ok.
    Its an idea.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As in they continually rub on the rotor

one side (pad) or both?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trail jacker
    On both the front and the rear brakes its the pad on the outside of the rotor (as in furthest from the frame) that's being problematic.