Dahon - quick release wheel skewers?

bikeboon
bikeboon Posts: 81
edited May 2011 in The workshop
The standard skewers are not compatible as Dahon do the older-design cone bearings that are nut-locked on a threaded axes (too much tension and the bearings are wearing quicker and reduced RR, too little - the bearings are destroyed through the play).

Does this mean the only way to fit a quick-release mechanism a new set of wheels is needed? What about the rear wheel with a (custom?) cassette?

Am sure am not the only person asking such questions re Dahon, so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are the hubs.

and i am not really sure what you are saying/asking?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Some Dahon folders have a front wheel OLD of 80mm, always thought to mount a 700c rim with radial spokes to make a 'Time Trial' front wheel.

QR axles under tension from the QR are stronger/lighter than solid axle set-ups, QR's when closed do slightly bend (load) the axle and could theorectically upset the cup&cone preload - is this what you mean?

Preload setting can be tricky, but persevere and you should find a 'sweet' setting.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • bikeboon
    Some Dahon folders have a front wheel OLD of 80mm, always thought to mount a 700c rim with radial spokes to make a 'Time Trial' front wheel.

QR axles under tension from the QR are stronger/lighter than solid axle set-ups, QR's when closed do slightly bend (load) the axle and could theorectically upset the cup&cone preload - is this what you mean?

Preload setting can be tricky, but persevere and you should find a 'sweet' setting.

Doesn't look like the wheels are QR compatible. Yes, both wheels sit on a 8mm (I think) threaded axles and are fixed with 2 (actually 6) nuts each. I think this is similar to BMX bikes.

Am wondering whether there are ways to fit the QR skewers to such wheels.

I.E. each axle looks as follows:

-| F | |>8HHH8<| | F |-

| is a nut
    F for a Fork
    8 for ball bearing
    > for a conical bearing base
    HHH for a wheel hub

The two sets of two nuts between the fork and the bearings set the extent to which the bearing base pushes against the bearing. All sits on the same axle, hence no place for a QR skewer.
  • nicklouse
    and the make of hub is?

If the axle is 9mm ( the current standard) the sure a Qr axle could be fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bikeboon
    nicklouse wrote:
    and the make of hub is?

"Cheap Bl@@dy Nameless"

Am sure anything can be done. If I were to remove the existing 9mm axle there would be nothing to hold the existing bearings in place and I'd need to replace them with a sort of tubular set that would allow the skewer to go through. Are we talking of the same thing?

Can post a picture if that helps, but am sure am not the 1st person who says, ok, I've got myself a Dahon. How do I fit QR on it to be able to deal with punctures on the spot?
  • bikeboon
    bikeboon wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    and the make of hub is?

"Cheap Bl@@dy Nameless"

Am sure anything can be done. If I were to remove the existing 9mm axle there would be nothing to hold the existing bearings in place and I'd need to replace them with a sort of tubular set that would allow the skewer to go through. Are we talking of the same thing?

Can post a picture if that helps, but am sure am not the 1st person who says, ok, I've got myself a Dahon. How do I fit QR on it to be able to deal with punctures on the spot?

That's the answer, innit?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/wel ... e-ec023001
  • nicklouse
    yes BUT there may not be enough thread and the axle will need to be shortened.

Easy LBS job.

Just beel looking on Dahons webby and they seem to use formula front hubs ( nothing on formulas webbby) but i would be very surprised if it was not standard other than the length.