Done something a bit daft...!

lvquestpaddler
lvquestpaddler Posts: 416
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Err....I was trying to fit a new bottlecage to the seat tube on my GT Avalanche trainer but the lower bolt was just turning, the fitting(nut part) was loose in the frame and no amount of cajoling and trying to hold onto the barely visible part of it was working. On the assumption it was a press in type fitting I rather angrily took a pair of pliers to it. Boy is that aluminium thin....the fitting pulled straight out and it looks like someone has fired a bullet through the frame now :oops:

It now has an 8mm hole in it- have gently tapped around it to get it flush with the rest of the tube and it's not split the tube but could this weaken it? It's thankfully a tube in compression where it's located.

"Aluminum sure does suck!" as the Shermans would say.

(Maybe I'm trying to subconsciously wreck it so I can justify buying another On One steel frame.... :D)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Perhaps this is why your ASDA cages cost so little......?

If you ve not done anything to the frame, just the bottle cage mount, it ll most likely be fine!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ddraver wrote:
    Perhaps this is why your ASDA cages cost so little......?

If you ve not done anything to the frame, just the bottle cage mount, it ll most likely be fine!
    ASDA cages? huh? It's his frame that he's torn the thread from!
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    i suggest uploading a picture as that help us see the damage if any.

TBH it doesnt sound too bad and i wouldnt worry it isnt carbon frame which is even worse with instances like this.

Aluminum is pretty robust in these types of problems so dont worry :wink:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Err....I was trying to fit a new bottlecage to the seat tube on my GT Avalanche trainer but the lower bolt was just turning, the fitting(nut part) was loose in the frame and no amount of cajoling and trying to hold onto the barely visible part of it was working. On the assumption it was a press in type fitting I rather angrily took a pair of pliers to it. Boy is that aluminium thin....the fitting pulled straight out and it looks like someone has fired a bullet through the frame now :oops:

It now has an 8mm hole in it- have gently tapped around it to get it flush with the rest of the tube and it's not split the tube but could this weaken it? It's thankfully a tube in compression where it's located.

"Aluminum sure does suck!" as the Shermans would say.

(Maybe I'm trying to subconsciously wreck it so I can justify buying another On One steel frame.... :D)

And?

sorry but you have not asked a single question.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • it's not split the tube but could this weaken it?

That sort of resembles a question doesn't it? :? As Yeeha pointed out it's nothing to do with the cages (just my stupidness and now concerns for its structural integrity)
    I think it's probably ok, but now I've been on the On One site again a 456 steel frame looks tempting.... 8)