Fitting avid 203mm rotor

matt_wright
matt_wright Posts: 27
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have avid elixir r brakes and i have managed ti get hold of a brand new 203mm rotor for free.

I have a few questions

1) is it worth fitting a 203mm rotor (i currently have 160)
2) is it difficult to change?
3) do i need any other equipment to do it other than this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13718

Many Thanks

Matt Wright

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 is it a DH bike. are you very big?
    2 no
    3 if your fork is post mount. ( plus bolts).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • matt_wright
    Its a Boardman pro HT mainly for XC stuff and single track riding (like Bedgebury in the south east - if you know it?) I guess i qualify as 'Big' 6ft2 and about 15stone.

Being a complete newbie - how do i know if the forks are post mount? I have Rock Shox Reba forks if that helps?

Thanks
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Its a Boardman pro HT mainly for XC stuff and single track riding (like Bedgebury in the south east - if you know it?) I guess i qualify as 'Big' 6ft2 and about 15stone.

Being a complete newbie - how do i know if the forks are post mount? I have Rock Shox Reba forks if that helps?

Thanks

I'd say it'd be overkill, especially for bedgebury which has no real descents. But nothing stopping you if you're not happy with your current braking.

And:

TECH_Disk_tab_type.jpg[/i]
  • matt_wright
    I have fitted the rotor, just one slight problem - the rotor now rubs the brake unit.

Im sure there is a simple solution (i.e. do you guys have any ideas on how to stop the rotor rubbing when it is spining?)
    Thanks

Matt
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    align it. it is part of the fitting procedure.

read how on Parktools or the manual for your brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown