Frame advice

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Morning all

I have a full 7700 Dura Ace groupset in The Big Box of Spares doing nothing (converted to Red on the good bike and love it) but am loathed to sell it for the tuppence ha'penny I'd get. The D/A is 10 speed and perfect condition.

I want to use this to build up a summer fast commuting/training bike - ie jump on the bike for the 30 mile commute and ride as fast as you can until you throw up. Also to be used for iffy weather fast training days so the good bike stays good.

Current commuter/trainer will be relegated to winter bike. I love it but the only problem with it is that it is a bit wooly and soft to ride and I must admit that deep down I do fancy a new summer toy.

I'm looking for a frame to mount the D/A on.

Requisites are:
- light (sub 8kgs full build really, good bike is 7.1 but that's £4.5ks worth ....)
- stiff as possible
- £500 and below
- race bike geometry for fun factor
- be able to handle the knocks and bumps that a fast commuter/trainer will receive
- look cool
- not bothered about either carbon or alu because at this price I'm not going to be getting a De Rosa

The rest of the bike will be built up out of decent components sourced through sales/deals as cheap as possible over the next 9 months ready for next spring/summer - eg WCS stem/bar/post, Kyseriums, that sort of thing. Good stuff but not so good and light that it'll get trashed.

I've been looking at a Ribble 7005 Ultralight f & f which I fully realise isn't going to be hand built exotica but might fit the bill.

Other options: P/X Nanolite, Ribble Gran Fondo (bit over budget) but at the price of the Ultralight beats them hands down - and at £500 or so, is the quality of the carbon going to be that much better that the Ultralight?. I tried looking at Dolans but the website annoyed me so much I couldn't beothered.

Has anyone tried one of these and has any opinions? Alternatively, any other suggestions re frames?

Any comments gratefully received

Kr

Y

Comments

• Avanti Roman
    Avanti Roman Posts: 189
    Very pleased with my Gran Fondo - very solid, composed & looks great, perfect for a big rider I'd say. Doesn't feel as wooden or isolated as some carbon sportive bikes is more comfortable for me with no spacers below the stem.

If you're a weight weenie the Sportive/Sportive Bianco is a similar price and a lighter frame & fork though my GF is still under 8kg with Campag Centaur carbon and mid range kit inc pedals, cages etc.

Planet X are currently selling off some lovely aluminium Guerciotti frames for £350 - worth a look.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Im not sure if you are looking at new only but i think a cervelo s1 would be a good build. Aluminium frame racey geometry and would build in to sub 8kg's.
    The frames come up quite often on ebay due to everyone wanting carbon fibre.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    What about one of those 300 quid Chinese jobs?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 16&start=0
  • Yossie
    Smashing - thankyou very much indeed orteh comments.

havethought about a Chinese frame before but just very wary of getting somethingthat didn't end up as stiff as an ali frame - I'm not worried about it falling apart (I've been around carbon long enough to know what its like and realise that although Chinese can be a bit shonky at the moment they will, in about 10 years, rule teh world) but with limited funds and have to sneak this into teh garage pastteh wife I justhavethis nagging doubt at the back of mind.

Probably me just being paranoid - the Chinese stuff is very good.

The search continues!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yossie wrote:
    havethought about a Chinese frame before but just very wary of getting somethingthat didn't end up as stiff as an ali frame - I'm not worried about it falling apart (I've been around carbon long enough to know what its like and realise that although Chinese can be a bit shonky at the moment they will, in about 10 years, rule teh world) but with limited funds and have to sneak this into teh garage pastteh wife I justhavethis nagging doubt at the back of mind.

Chances are, at the sub £500 level your frame is going to come from China or Taiwan anyway (eg the Ribble and Planet X you mention - my GranFondo says handcrafted in Italy on it. I don't believe that for a minute!). The difference with the cheap Chinese frames is that there is no pretence that they don't come from China.

TBH, if you don't want far Eastern, you'd be best off putting that in the title as it narrows the choice down quite a lot.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    You could try one of these:

http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index.php ... cts_id=189

Onix bikes are importing and painting them with a sales price of £1099!

http://onixbikesonline.com/Onix-Azzuro- ... 83061.aspx
  • Yossie
    Arrrrgggh - too much temptation, not enough cojones on my part to actually go through with hitting the buy button .....

I'm really sorry for laburing this thread - has anyone:

a. bought anything from Dungfu
    b. has any experience about shipping times, legitimacy of it all
    c. tried one of these: its freakin' cool (inmho): http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index.php ... cts_id=181

As I said, stiffness is a priority - just really woried that these will be a let down.