Cadence and Climbing

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited June 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Really struggle with climbing on my bike. Not exactly a large guy, 12 stone and 6 foot but my build is not whippet size! I need to learn to climb better rather than "plod" if people know what i mean.

Am i best just doing lots of rides with sharp steep climbs and aiming for a high cadence up them or once with long drawn out shleps with a moderate cadence? Also should i try knocking out a few cadence workouts on my turbo trainer and road bike?

Talk to me!

Comments

• I'm exactly the same... I burn out so quick on climbs its not funny!

I think my issue is gear choice. If I see a steep climb I immediately stick it in the granny gear and take it slow. But i've been finding that if I keep it 1 or 2 gears higher I can keep the speed up ad it is actually just as easy to climb, just the initial effort is a bit higher lol.

I hate hills!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Only way to improve on hills is to do more of them. Pain, pain and more pain.
    Don't hate hills... find them and love them. The more you do, the easier they get.
    Simon
  • keith1200rs
    keith1200rs Posts: 97
    I tend to build up my climbing ability each spring after easy winter rides by doing a hill a couple of times in one gear and then next time picking a gear higher. After doing that a few times I go up another gear higher. Basically forcing myself to work harder and build up muscles. After a few weeks I am then ready for the long steep climbs of my summer rides.

Keith
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I try and keep my cadence about 80-90. Choose the gear which allows that, and sit and spin for max efficiency.
  • rock_hopper
    rock_hopper Posts: 129
    You asked if it's best to do short sharp of long gradual, I would say do both. Try and power up the short ones but on the longer ones pick a comfortable gear and cadence and try and keep on top of the gear. If you know the length of the climb pick a pace you think you can sustain then back off just a touch, that should see you right until the top.

You could always go out and do hill intervals! Say pick a climb that takes 3 minutes and go as HARD as you can until the top, recover on the way down and repeat 4-6 times. That's basically teaching your body to ride faster than you already do. I enjoy climbing almost as much as I enjoy descending.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:
    I try and keep my cadence about 80-90. Choose the gear which allows that, and sit and spin for max efficiency.

+1

I usually sit around 85-89 on most climbs, short steep ones out of the saddle is a different matter.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Make sure your seat is up nice and high, it makes a huge difference. +1 for highish cadence, I'm not up to SS level and probably closer to 70-80 on a steep climb. Also train at speed which are close to your 80% HR limit.

I also find bar ends are handy.
  • rudyardmtb
    rudyardmtb Posts: 54
    like everyone else says +1

I absolutely hate hills, i mean really hate em, which is why i get up them as quick as possible. I hate them coz they hurt, you need to get used to the pain especially round macc. The unfortunate thing is that the pain never goes away, you just quicker and better going up the hills. I found the best hill for repeats was coming out of the goyt valley up to the cat, just continuous and the fact that it is traffic free is even better.

Chris
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    Briggo wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

+1

I usually sit around 85-89 on most climbs, short steep ones out of the saddle is a different matter.

+1 more. Also use a HRM and make sure you're not working too hard (keep heart rate within sensible limits) otherwise you blow up.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • GTI
    GTI Posts: 6
    Have you got access to a god awful turbo trainer?
    It can help to develop leg speed, and echoes what diy mentioned (training at high speed)
    Try it on a turbo trainer, using 30 seconds of high end cadence, 1min 30 off/easy cadence. Repeat for 10 reps.
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    +1 for cadence I like to spin out at 85 - 90 and attempt to keep my HR in the 85% range (no greater on long climbs that is).

As stated the key is find a comfortable cadence and just pedal, the more you do it the better you will get!!!