Marin quad link bearings?

Tim.s
Tim.s Posts: 515
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Anybody know where I can get bearings for a Marin Quad link frame (2008 Wolf Ridge)?

Damned if im going to pay £70 for a set off fleabay!

They are KP5AX-L3 and I need eight.

Thanks, Tim.
"Didn't hurt"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Marin warrant the bearings for life. Speak to a dealer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Otherwise try a bearing shop. Plenty online.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tim.s wrote:
    Anybody know where I can get bearings for a Marin Quad link frame (2008 Wolf Ridge)?

Damned if im going to pay £70 for a set off fleabay!

They are KP5AX-L3 and I need eight.

Thanks, Tim.
    From a marin dealer, for free.
    Are you sure the bearings actually need chainging?
  • Tim.s
    I thought the bearing warranty only applies to the first owner? I bought the bike secondhand.

Ive had it apart today for something else, there is no play in the linkage but most of the bearings are very rough when rotated. Ive repacked them and put them back in for now so im in no rush.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    Tim.s wrote:
    I thought the bearing warranty only applies to the first owner? I bought the bike secondhand.

Ive had it apart today for something else, there is no play in the linkage but most of the bearings are very rough when rotated. Ive repacked them and put them back in for now so im in no rush.
    I've never actually seen the wording for the warranty. However, on my ancient Marin, I had a few sets of bearings, and I was never once asked if I was the original owner, they just got the bearings for me.

I'd be very surprised if the bearings were in need of replacing, however, I DO suspect that one of the reasons they can offer a lifetime warranty is because of the insanely expensive grease they use to assemble them.
    I just can't see a reason they'd use it otherwise.
  • Tim.s
    When I got the bike it was only a few months old and the guy gave me all the paperwork that came with it. There wasnt any kind of warranty card so maybe the warranty is just assumed? I'll ask in my LBS tomorrow, they do Marin.

The linkage is still solid but some of the bearings are starting to feel rough. Im sure there was some magic grease but its long gone im afraid probably in the drain at Cwmcarn's bike wash. If I could get some cheap (or free) I would change them.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • cooldad
    It's a lifetime warranty and they never ask for a warranty card or suchlike. As Yeehaa said, rarely ask for anything. Dealer replaces and Marin reimburse. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    The only "issue" I ever had was when using a local bike shop that wasn't a marin dealer. Marin were willing to sort the bearings for them, but wouldn't cover the cost of installing them, which they normally would. So I had to pay a tenner or so to have them fitted - I didn't have time to do it myself on that occasion.
  • Tim.s
    Thanks guys, ill ask them tomorrow. Let you know how I get on.
    "Didn't hurt"