Egg beaters, which is left? which right?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
A very quick and possibly stupid question.

Putting Crank Bros Egg Beaters on my new bike.

Trouble is I can't figure out which is the left and which is the right pedal. Dose it matter which goes on what side?

Might be a stupid question. But I'd rather ask a silly question than make a stupid mistake,

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They have opposite threads: is usually stamped on the axle somewhere.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look at the thread.

they also seam to have an L and a R on a spanner flat.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    look at the thread.

they also seam to have an L and a R on a spanner flat.

I'd have thought they would have a L or R somewhere, can't find it though. Also these don't have spanner flats, allen only.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    They have opposite threads: is usually stamped on the axle somewhere.

Yep this has it figured. Turns out they will only go on one way. If you try and put the wrong pedal on the wrong side it just won't screw in.

Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    then does one have a rough/marked surface (lined) as that will be the left one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    then does one have a rough/marked surface (lined) as that will be the left one.

I've looked and looked, really apart from the threads they seem exactly the same. They are over a year old and have seen a good few thousand miles so it's possible what ever mark/marking has worn off.
  • holroyd74
    holroyd74 Posts: 20
    I've just purchased some crank brothers candy 1 pedals, which i fitted last night. I couldn't find anything on the pedals to denote which is L & R either. Just have to go by the thread.
  • wayne10244
    wayne10244 Posts: 65
    Hi the left side axle should have a small groove around the spindle flange ok
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    Easy to remember "line left". Or do what i do and go to the crank bros website.
    The instructions on eggbeater 3 have this in them, the candy 3 dont, go figure.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    The left side threads opposite to normal, tighten anti clockwise. So just compare a normal thread on something else, say a stem bolt and find which one has the same thread as the bolt, that's the right pedal. So the other one's the left and tightens opposite to normal.
  • nicklouse
    see the groove?

crank_bro_egg_c_red.jpg.jpg
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Yeah ! Groovey Baby !

:oops:
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    see the groove?

crank_bro_egg_c_red.jpg.jpg

Ahh, yes, yes I do. Right near the thread on pedal at the top of the photo. Just checked my egg beaters and they also have the same groove.

Is this a general rule for all/most pedals?
  • nicklouse
    yep the left pedal tends to be marked. if there is no L R marks.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    If you look at an external thread, you can tell the thread direction by looking at them. The RH side of the thread will point diagonally upwards toward the right (right side higher), and the left side of the thread will point diagonally upwards toward the left (left side higher).

If I haven't described this effectively ('scuse the pun), then the diagrams below will highlight the thread directions.

Threads.jpg

If you are looking at a RH internal thread, the thread will drop to the right, and the LH will drop to the left.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • kinelljohn
    kinelljohn Posts: 150
    One way to remember:

Sat on bike looking down at pedals (or BB) - the one on the right - is right (handed) and right (correct).

If it won't screw in conventionally it's for the other side.

It's like this so the direction of rotation of cranks tends to tighten and not unscrew.

Be nice to all cyclists - you may want to borrow a pump one day :-)