Newb, need my hand holding and plenty of help

diggidydog
diggidydog Posts: 28
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I want to get really in to mountain biking and eventually freeride. Partly to do with fitness but mainly for fun and social reasons. I go to the gym and it bores the crap out a me!
I don't really know where to start. I live in Leeds but have a van so can travel wherever.
I was going to nick my dads old GT Zaskar that is in mint condition and then see how it goes from there.
Eventually i want a decent bike but that will be when i am up an running and i know people who i can get out with on a regular basis.
I do need advice on everything. Maintenance, parts, clothing, helmet etc etc the list goes on.

So if there is anyone out there willing to kinda take me under there wing that would be great!

Or and i am 29, very laid back, don't do serious. lifes too short for being serious,and pretty much act like a child :o

Get in touch and take me on.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bike is a great piece of kit to start on, though is a little racy. Make sure it fits and is comfortable - you might want to get a shorter, steeper stem to bring the bars higher and closer to you. Also a slightly wider bar may help control. But give it a go, see how it feels!
  • diggidydog
    supersonic wrote:
    The bike is a great piece of kit to start on, though is a little racy. Make sure it fits and is comfortable - you might want to get a shorter, steeper stem to bring the bars higher and closer to you. Also a slightly wider bar may help control. But give it a go, see how it feels!
    Thanks for the advice. I take it at this stage i shouldnt worry too much about it not being full susspension?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Decide if you like riding normal XC type stuff before you take on 'Freeride'. You will need to build up skill to a very high level before you take on freeriding.

A helmet is a must, good shoes, gloves, possibly armour (when you start 'going big').
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • diggidydog wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I take it at this stage i shouldnt worry too much about it not being full susspension?

Ignore full susspension... for anything decent you will need to pay big money. Stick to the GT (nice retro bike BTW!) for now, get used to it. For what you plan to do I can not see you needing full suss, but if you do get to that point you should have some ideas on exactly what you want.
  • diggidydog
    diggidydog wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Ignore full susspension... for anything decent you will need to pay big money. Stick to the GT (nice retro bike BTW!) for now, get used to it. For what you plan to do I can not see you needing full suss, but if you do get to that point you should have some ideas on exactly what you want.
    great, appreciate the help!
  • jediblade
    jediblade Posts: 2
    My suggestion is get out and ride with a group of people or with a shop- I started riding with my local shop (http://www.psychlosport.co.uk/) on a wednesday in Harrogate and I've improved a hell of a lot-not far for you to travel to give it a go-meet at the shop at 6:15 on a Wednesday night- first Wednesday of the month being an away ride sotry and get there a little earlier to arrange cars etc.
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    diggidydog wrote:
    I was going to nick my dads old GT Zaskar that is in mint condition and then see how it goes from there.

Thats a really nice bike to start on. Jealous.
    diggidydog wrote:
    I do need advice on everything. Maintenance, parts, clothing, helmet etc etc the list goes on.

Get one asap. Don't do anything serious without head protection. You will die*

* Death is not guaranteed but mtbing without a helmet is classed as being a dumbass

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • diggidydog
    diggidydog wrote:

Thats a really nice bike to start on. Jealous.
    diggidydog wrote:

Get one asap. Don't do anything serious without head protection. You will die*

* Death is not guaranteed but mtbing without a helmet is classed as being a dumbass

Must admit, i am surprised about the appreciation for the GT. its nice but old. Maybe i should just upgrade it rather than get a new bike, Disc brakes, new susspension etc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You might not need disc brakes, Vs work fine for many. And the Bomber is a good fork.
  • diggidydog
    supersonic wrote:
    You might not need disc brakes, Vs work fine for many. And the Bomber is a good fork.
    Girlfriend will be pleased people are talking me out of spending money on the bike!
    Will look in to the stem and bars though
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    I'm not too sure that frame or fork will take disk breaks, from that photo it doesn't look like it has mounts. For starting out tho v-brakes are fine, I started mountain biking about a year ago on a bike with Vs the only reason I changed to disks was that the bike I had was an XL which was too big, and hard for me to control so I needed to get a new bike. I ended up buying a medium size bike :D
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters
  • Agree with others, this is a very nice retro bike.. My first proper bike was a lower spec GT Tequesta and I still miss it. Used it for some pretty extreme off roading, for touring, commuting and trips to the pub.

Just get out are ride it. After a few trips out you will start to get an idea of the sort of riding you enjoy, and can consider adapting what you have or getting something else.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Why not have a word with your dad?
  • diggidydog
    jediblade wrote:
    My suggestion is get out and ride with a group of people or with a shop- I started riding with my local shop (http://www.psychlosport.co.uk/) on a wednesday in Harrogate and I've improved a hell of a lot-not far for you to travel to give it a go-meet at the shop at 6:15 on a Wednesday night- first Wednesday of the month being an away ride sotry and get there a little earlier to arrange cars etc.
    Hi,

I have just been on the phone to psychlosport. Going to nip down next week and get the bike serviced. Consider looking at shorter stems and wider bars as advised.
    Can also have a chat with the guy about the shop rides out. Should be good! Can't wait to be honest, be nice to get back out again. Just ned to look in to clothing, helmet etc now!
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Nice bike / frame. I'm sure someone would pay quite a bit for it. Maybe sell it and buy a modern one if that's what you want ?

kaiser83 has already offered to buy it from you.

The large pic of it in your sig is a bit repetitive and annoying though. Sorry.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • diggidydog
    Nice bike / frame. I'm sure someone would pay quite a bit for it. Maybe sell it and buy a modern one if that's what you want ?

kaiser83 has already offered to buy it from you.

to be honest with ya i dont really know how i managed to get it on there or how to get it, or at least change the settings :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

+1 big yellow potato
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    That Zaskar has given me a semi. I need to build my LTS
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You're starting the right way, stick with the Yellow Peril and see what type of rides you like to do best.

I wouldn't upgrade you're dads bike, not worth the bother IMHO

If you're sticking to fairly normal trails, you won't need a full susser, get a decent hardtail, eventually...
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    nice bike, hang onto it, ride it.

as for upgrades: those forks look the same as a set i have, they will take a disk brake

they are good forks and also dead easy to service yourself.

if after a year you need something different i'll buy it.