How to remove star washer

Catfish
Catfish Posts: 141
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just purchased a Hope Integral headset and it came with a Head Doctor, The forkes i'm using are fitted with a star washer, How can i remove this so i can use the Head doctor? or is this a none starter.

Comments

• Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Hammer it further in so it's out the way or drill it until it falls apart.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just use it as is.. it has the same thread. does the job as well if not better and is lighter.

DO NOT hammer it futher in. if you wish to remove it drill the center out and fold the "wings" in so you can remove each part one at a time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    nicklouse wrote:
    DO NOT hammer it futher in. if you wish to remove it drill the center out and fold the "wings" in so you can remove each part one at a time.

ok, educate me as to why not?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork can taper at the bottom. Then it gets stuck. And gouges your steerer.

Just use the star nut and sell the inferior hope thing.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Hope top cap and alu bolt is quite pretty, and lighter than most by entire grams. But the Hed Doctor's a fix for a problem that doesn't exist, and not a very good fix either.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Get angry with it and rip it out with pliers, my usual solution..... :wink::lol: