Rebound, tortoise or hare ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Wondering what i just run my Recons at ?

Also the reasoning behind the decision ? e.g is XC more suited to Tortoise and DH/Trailcentre more to Hare ? or......

Enlighten me ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it totally depends on what feel right for you on the trail you are on at the time.

But a starting point is compress the suspension as far as you can. then lift the bike up as fast as you can you should only just be able to get the wheel(s) off the ground before the suspension extends fully.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I think the rebound speed is how long the folk takes to compress and re-extend. So, I'd set at fast if your going over cobles quickly, or slow if your going over slower larger jumps.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    There isn't an optimum setting. It depends on terrain, rider weight, personal preference etc etc etc to infinity.

You want to set the rebound to be as fast (rabbit) as possible without the fork topping out or kicking back after bumps. To much Tortoise and the fork will packing-up over successive bumps bottoming out.

Best way i can describe my setting would be 80% rabbit, 20% turtoise. Most of my rides contain small-medium bumps with the occasional large hit and i way about 11stone.

An evening (complicated) reading. The 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 at the bottom of the article is what you want to read.
    http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp? ... 25597E6993

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I reckon as much rabbit as you can without you feeling that the front of the bike is kicking back at you when you're going fast over the rough. That'll depend on how fast you ride and what you tend to ride over.

For years, I ran mine at the 'tortoise' end thinking 'what's the point of damping if you don't use it'. Then an experienced mate had a go and pointed out that after hitting the first bump I was effectively without front suspension so I had another fiddle and it made a significant improvement.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    You want the rebound quick enough so that, with the preload/spring rate set for your weight and riding style, the fork doesn't get lower and lower over a series of bumps. The rebound should be JUST quick enough to return the fork to its neutral sag postion before the next bump.
    "Coming through..."
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    also remember that the tortoise and hare.....or + or - rebound damping work upside down.... :?

That is....

all the way to hare....is the least amount of rebound damping available in the fork
    all the way to tortoise is the most amount of rebound damping.....

so...more damping (more tortoise) = slower return....

I run as much damping as I can....without the fork packing up over a succession of 'bumps'
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.