Whistling (is it annoying, do you like it etc...)

coombsfh
coombsfh Posts: 186
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
I love whistling but know people who hate it. Does anyone truly loathe it here?

Oddly, at work and from mates etc I am often told I am a "good whistler". I would love to know how to warble (not sure how easy it is to do) as my grandad was incredible at it.

How many of you here whistle whilst carrying out inane tasks like carrying stuff, cooking, fixing things, driving, shopping etc?

Finally, does anyone have a favourite tune to whisle.

On a side not I have recently discovered a recorder in our house and learned "eye of the tiger", "final countdown", a whole host of xmas carols, the total fishing themetune, the william tell overture and I find it hilarious! Even sent a recording of "eye of the tiger" to a bird and have since made numerous romantic entrances... Anyone else rock one of these brown, budget seducto-sticks?

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I'm a constant whistler always copying birds, tunes, phones etc.. But on my own. I find other people's whistling hugely irritating. Mostly because everyone else is useless at it.

I can warble, circular breathe, whistle in tune on inhalations and exhalations etc. I can even whistle through my rolled tongue.

But...

I can't whistle with my fingers in my mouth.
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Irritates the hell out of me. (Mind you, almost everything does tbh). It's usually some old boy not even whistling a tune, pushing the trolly behind his blue-haired missis, herself in a hazy fog due the the four gallons of cheap cloying scent she's slapped on. Blessem.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    Irritates the hell out of me. (Mind you, almost everything does tbh). It's usually some old boy not even whistling a tune, pushing the trolly behind his blue-haired missis, herself in a hazy fog due the the four gallons of cheap cloying scent she's slapped on. Blessem.

An image I can definitely identify with.

I want to learn how to warble but circular breathing, inhalation and exhalation whistling and finger whistling I can do. Really want to learn to whistle like a shepherd (sounds like fingers but just with gob).

And when someone tuneless is whistling, christ isn't it annoying? Esecially if the tune is a goodun being bastardised...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    its a cheery thing and its great but I cant do it. I always wished I could do one of those whistles were you put two fingers in your mouth.

recorder is great, penny whistle is better, i went on a binge and bought meself 4 a couple of years back.

All in my vain attempt to lern the south african pennt whistle style called Kwela, its BRILLIANT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg9NUZ-G-sk
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Whistle and DIE!!!

It's probably the only thing that'd make me capable of killing. I used to work with a guy who whistled chrismas carols incessantly throughout the year. I would have killed him but for 2 facts: he was a nice big guy, and he was a big guy who would have beaten the crap out of me without a problem.

You have beeen warned!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • JLM74
    JLM74 Posts: 108
    whistling.gif
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    My daughter whistles by breathing in, it really grinds my gears.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Done by window cleaners, chirpy cockney barrow boys etc its ok. I work in an office, so whistling is an offence that ought to be punishable by death. Don't even start me on those who hum constant drivel under their breath...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,479
    My uncle whistles constantly under his breath, very annoying, nervous habit or something.

But i wish i could whisle like this guy, he's the DADDY!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFlE1cO8Fc
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Been moved to a different floor at work & thankfully don't have to listen to match of the day or eastenders 50 times a day anymore.

I haven't thought about stabbing him in the neck with a pen since, happy days.