• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Football mad? How about this, if he's a fan
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Football mad? How about this, if he's a fan
    Man City, out of belligerence* to Boy Sr who decided on Man U, so not an option.

*that's ma boy. :)
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    dhope wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:
    If you are going to Greenwich it might be worth walking under the river in the foot tunnel.

Also the Monument is always worth climbing. If you are on the south side of the river then Clink prison or perhaps London Dungeon (not sure about age for that). That part of town is a good place to walk around too as you can see Tower Bridge and various other sites easily

Hm, if you go through the foot tunnel you just end up in Island Gardens and there's not much to see there. Plus it's a bit dingy. Maybe better to head through the park and upto the observatory or take a wander through the markets.

I wasn't thinking of it as getting to a destination, but as an experience for a child (which markets full of faux antigues and wax candles probably aren't). Telling a child that they are walking under the giant river they've just seen is going to be of interest to them as is explaining it was dug by hand. You can also see the odd bit of water dripping down and then spend time speculating whether you have time to escape.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Walk along the Southbank seems a deservedly popular choice. The Aquarium is great and you can sometimes get discounted family tickets online. Lunch at Gourmet Pizza perhaps, which is family friendly. Drop into the Tate Modern before walking over the Millenium Bridge to St Paul's. Boat back. Loads of options and all excellent if bathed in sunshine.

Have a nice trip.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    edited May 2011
    Duck tour?

edit: as in - why don't you go on one, not what is it.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    davmaggs wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:
    If you are going to Greenwich it might be worth walking under the river in the foot tunnel.

Also the Monument is always worth climbing. If you are on the south side of the river then Clink prison or perhaps London Dungeon (not sure about age for that). That part of town is a good place to walk around too as you can see Tower Bridge and various other sites easily

Hm, if you go through the foot tunnel you just end up in Island Gardens and there's not much to see there. Plus it's a bit dingy. Maybe better to head through the park and upto the observatory or take a wander through the markets.

I wasn't thinking of it as getting to a destination, but as an experience for a child (which markets full of faux antigues and wax candles probably aren't). Telling a child that they are walking under the giant river they've just seen is going to be of interest to them as is explaining it was dug by hand. You can also see the odd bit of water dripping down and then spend time speculating whether you have time to escape.

God I've never seen water dripping through the Greenwich tunnel! If it's travelling under the Thames which is of interest, they should go on the newly reopened East London Line (Overground) which travels through the world's first tunnel to travel ubnder water, built by Marc and Ismbard Kingdom Brunel. There's a tunnel museum in Rotherhithe...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    if you are near the millenium bridge you could walk along CS7 ?? to the fire brigade museum

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/OurMuseum.asp
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    The London Aquarium has just taken in a family of penguins. PENGUINS! Who doesn't like penguins?!

It would mean staying indoors for a spell though, and if the weather's good you've had some cracking suggestions which would take better advantage of that.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • CiB
    Penguin? Boy's more of a kit-ka... Oh right. Currently pondering stretching it into an overnight stay. Cracking ideas all though. Ta.
  • Gussio
    If you stay overnight, a trip out to Richmond Park to watch the deer while eating a picnic might be nice. Could also hire bikes.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Gussio wrote:
    If you stay overnight, a trip out to Richmond Park to watch the deer while eating a picnic might be nice. Could also hire bikes.

OI! dont steal my ideas! mentioned that already :P

but glad you're +1 ing it :)

however sunday's forecast is not good! rain with 40mph gusts??? :S
  • hakko
    hakko Posts: 34
    London Dungeon
    London Aquarium
    London Zoo

But always book online, so you can beat the queues!
  • Gussio
    ^ Saturday and Sunday both showing as sunny intervals on BBC
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    jejv wrote:
    London Eye +
    Riverboat from the London Eye to Greenwich. Lots of sights from teh river and a nice market when you get to greenwich..
    Royal observatory, Greenwich; National Maritime Museum

These & go inside Tower Bridge itself.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    guided tour of emirates stadium. I'm not a gooner, but took my dad on it for his 60th birthday. non footy liking wife, sister and step mum really enjoyed it too.

edit.
    btw shouldn't it be "thahhhhhh Lundun" said in a harry enfield scouse accent eh?eh?eh?
  • CiB
    PBo wrote:
    guided tour of emirates stadium. I'm not a gooner, but took my dad on it for his 60th birthday. non footy liking wife, sister and step mum really enjoyed it too.
    Would take too much of a chunk out of the day, and having done the Old Trafford tour it felt like nothing more than being relieved of thirty quid so that they could tell me how great they were. Boy might be half-taken with it but he only wants to do Eastlands.
    PBo wrote:
    btw shouldn't it be "thahhhhhh Lundun" said in a harry enfield scouse accent eh?eh?eh?
    Tha' thurr Lunnon - in a broad Mummerset accent, reserved for actors who don't quite get it when they're roped in to do a cameo in The Archers, and The Wurzels.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pop them along to Covent Garden and i'll amaze you all with my "family" friendly magic show.

Consists of one trick, the disappearing Guinness trick - my kids used to love it, now they just say "daaaaad!" :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    That was a pretty superb day out as things go. Highlights - Greenwich Observatory & the platentarium - brill places, bit of a trek to get there but well worth it. We were amazed at the queues of people wanting to take a photo of themselves on the meridian but it was fun all the same. Plenty of places to eat in Greenwich too, found a nice little restaurant that served up a right decent meal. And the clipper trip there & back to The Tower going via The Eye - just brill. Both boys [9 y-o + m'self] loved it, so did 'er.

Noted a good number of bicyclists, some rding like numpties, some doing it right. Some nice SS bikes too; I could almost be tempted. Biggest thing though is the buzz that London has, the sense that it's where it's at. I love the place.

A thoroughly excellent day. Big thanks for the ideas from you good folks. Monday tomorrow tho - back on yer 'eads everybody.
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    Noted a good number of bicyclists, some rding like numpties, some doing it right.

To be fair, most of the weekday cyclists - and there's a fair few of them - are pretty good road users. The worst place for offending is probably cyclists doing a salmon up King William Walk one-way - the road from the oneway system up to the park. And they're going to put a cycle contra-flow in there anyway. One of these days...in these times of austerity they've spent all the road paint money on a right royal beano for the Greenwich mayor in the Old Royal Naval College. Plus ça change, plus c'est Greenwich.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    When I was a kid, I seem to remember that HMS Belfast was pretty interesting (and of course there is now the jump London video of them jumping onto the turrets).
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    CiB wrote:
    That was a pretty superb day out as things go. Highlights - Greenwich Observatory & the platentarium - brill places, bit of a trek to get there but well worth it. We were amazed at the queues of people wanting to take a photo of themselves on the meridian but it was fun all the same. Plenty of places to eat in Greenwich too, found a nice little restaurant that served up a right decent meal. And the clipper trip there & back to The Tower going via The Eye - just brill. Both boys [9 y-o + m'self] loved it, so did 'er.

Noted a good number of bicyclists, some rding like numpties, some doing it right. Some nice SS bikes too; I could almost be tempted. Biggest thing though is the buzz that London has, the sense that it's where it's at. I love the place.

A thoroughly excellent day. Big thanks for the ideas from you good folks. Monday tomorrow tho - back on yer 'eads everybody.

Glad you n the fam had a good time dude!

Yeah the buzz is just full on :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    CiB wrote:

Trek toget there? I thought you were getting the boat there? That doesn't take long, does it? Can't remember, I've only done it once, I usually cycle there...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.