Avid Juicy 5 Issues!

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
When i'm about half hour into a XC ride I start to get a very loud squealing noise from the rear brake just as i'm hitting the biting point. Obvioulsy its when i'm going pretty quick downhill and i'm trying to scrubb off some speed. The noise disappears when I lock the wheel up but obviously the rear wheel skids which I don't want, but the noise is incredibly annoying.

I've re-aligned the caliper numerous times and the disc is running free. The noise seems to kick in as soon as the disc gets hot and is then there for the remainder of the ride (2 hours).

Do you think the noise is down to the pads (Clarks Sintered) - in which case would it be because they are sintered? Would organic pads be quieter? Or is it down to poor aligned or performance of the brake pistons - like you used to get if your v-brake blocks weren't correctly aligned!

Thanks.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Thats brakes for you.
    My juicy 5's can go for months with no problem then you get a that annoying high pitch noise.
    The noise did go away after buying new pads from halfords which are not genuine.
    I dont have any details but I should be going there tonight so I'll try and get the make.
    Other than that give them a good clean
  • steelo
    Thanks for the info, i've given them a full clean and sanded the surface from the pads, re-fitted but the noise still occurs. I'm pretty sure i've always used sintered pads in the past but always original Avid pads. Most comments from what I can find suggest Avid pads are noisier than aftermarket pads but obviously i'm already using aftermarket pads and this is the first time i've experienced this problem.

I'm annoyed and starting to get fed up when out on rides now, not really sure what to do.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • trail jacker
    trail jacker Posts: 844
    I had this problem with my front j5, I did everything I could mechanically to sort it, but I bought Superstar Stintered pads and they don't seem to squeal (touch wood). Don't know if compounds vary brand to brand but I hate genuine Avid pads, always seem problematic and temperamental.
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Im using clark organic pads.
    The other thing that can cause the noise is the spring inbetween the pads that could be rubbing on the disc because the pads are worn below the spring.
    Worth a try.
  • steelo
    It's definitely not the spreaded spring, and there is loads of pad left. I think it might just be that particular set of pads as I have identical on the front and they take a similar amount of use on a ride as well and have had no noise from them. I might try switching them out for another brand new set of pads and give them a few months and see if the same thing happens.

Cheers for the responses.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • My elixir r's squeal like a baby in a blender.... doesn't mean they aren't working though :wink: