These solid white lines that border London's CSs...

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
...the idea is that it signifies that cars cannot cross into them*, right? Does the opposite therefore apply meaning we're not supposed to drift out of them whilst using them?

Just had me pondering as I made my way in along CS8 today and had to drift into the 'car lane' to get round a cyclist that was taking up more than their fair share of the Superhighway.

Thoughts?

* - but if it's dotted / dashed or not there then all that's really in place is a bit of multi-coloured road.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited May 2011
    A solid line marks a compulory cycle lane. 'Compulsory' in this sense means non-bikes have to stay out not bikes have to stay in. There's no requirement to ride in the bike lane at all but best to excercise common sense. I'll often get out into the traffic if I'm going similar speed but if there's something bearing down at speed then best to hang off and let it pass.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The best one I've seen so far is a coach pull into CS8 to try and drive up the cycle lane. He got no-where as its not really a coach width wide and just blocked the lane for the cyclists, forcing them to pull around both him and the stationary vehicles before cutting back in. What he was thinking I don't know, but he certainly got a few thoughts thrown back at him from the cyclists.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    lastant wrote:
    ...the idea is that it signifies that cars cannot cross into them*, right? Does the opposite therefore apply meaning we're not supposed to drift out of them whilst using them?

Just had me pondering as I made my way in along CS8 today and had to drift into the 'car lane' to get round a cyclist that was taking up more than their fair share of the Superhighway.

Thoughts?

* - but if it's dotted / dashed or not there then all that's really in place is a bit of multi-coloured road.

I spend more of my commute in the road with other traffic along CS7 than in the cycle lane as it's mainly 1.5m in width and I'd never be able to pass other cyclists if I used it continuously.

If you're going to use the traffic lane make sure you throw in a life-saver before moving right and give the cyclist a lot of space (this might mean taking the centre of the traffic lane).The HC recommends indicating too, but I only do this if it benefits other road users.
    If there's a lot of traffic behind, I slow and wait behind the cyclist.