Cycle computer with hr monitor and cadence (polarcentric)

tugger
tugger Posts: 122
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Good day to you all

I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations on a computer that has cadence and heart rate.

I was looking at the basic polar model (CS100) but the write ups have been patchy.

Does anyone have any recomendations on this topic, i dont want to spend the earth, i appreciate that garmin do it yap yap yap but I think i really have a £100 limit on how much i care about how fast im going/my legs are spinning/my heart is beating

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I was thinking polar as i do a bit of running and wanted to do some hr training for that too so thought they might be transferable. Are they transferable? Can a watch 'tune into' the belt that comes with the cycle computer??

all these questions!! does anyone have any answers?!
cheers
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    The belt sends out a coded signal, so it will only work with the computer that it came with.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • tugger
    tugger Posts: 122
    thanks, that answers one question.

Has anyone ever used one? is it any good, as i say reviews seem to be mixed.

any thoughts from anyone? I saw a review saying that the polar ones dont seem to work with carbon forks or frames... anyone know any truth in this? I cant imagine thats true...
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I used a Polar device before I bought the 705. I found it tempremental to be honest. SOme times it would pick up signals often not.

You don't have to go the full on Garmin route, there are cheaper Garmin models that do HR etc.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Herbsman wrote:
    The belt sends out a coded signal, so it will only work with the computer that it came with.

Depends - basic stuff maybe less fussy. I have a Runtec wrist watch HRM and a Lidl wireless cycle computer with HRM. Both monitors work with both devices.

But of course, you have to buy to find out!

TBH though, I'm not sure how useful heart rate is unless you can record and download it. I wouldn't want to be checking the computer that often.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I ride with the CS200CAD and it's pretty good, tiny bit on top of the 100 but worth the extra and for under a £100 you get a fair amount for your dosh.