Starting out racing...

markpotts147
markpotts147 Posts: 100
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
I am hoping to do some racing starting next year however I have no experience or knowledge of what goes on so I was hoping some of the more “seasonsed” racers could give me a bit of info? I presume everyone starts as a Category 4 racer? What type of races are available at this level? How competitive are they and what sort of speeds are common? What are the fees for racing?

If there are any websites that any of you guys know of that could give me the information I’m after that would be great also.

Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    For road racing you would start off as a 4th cat. There are road races on the open road which are open to 4th cats, but are mostly filled with 3rd cats, but you wouldn't want to start off with one of these. Better to do a 4ths only race, which will almost certainly be on a closed circuit (either purpose-built for cycling, or a motor racing circuit or airfield or something) which will probably last between 40 and 70 minutes. Sometimes you can find 'Go-Race' events (for a mixture of 4th cats and people just trying it out) which are even shorter, maybe just 30 minutes. The pace depends on the circuit - I'd say up to 25mph if it's fairly flat and just below 23mph somewhere like Hog Hill (but bear in mind you go much faster in a bunch than you do on your own). Price probably between £10 and £20 per race.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you haven't already done so, join a club - you'll not gain the fitness, speed or skill to survive in a bunch. Harsh, but true put simply; no experience of fast bunch riding also makes you a liability to others.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    Id second that get used to group riding and chain gangs then start racing. The surges in racing will be a bit of a shock to the system but you will soon improve and if your like me love it.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If you haven't already done so, join a club - you'll not gain the fitness, speed or skill to survive in a bunch. Harsh, but true put simply; no experience of fast bunch riding also makes you a liability to others.

+1 A lot of crashes are happening in lower level racing due to people going racing without any experience of bunch riding. Join a club, you don't have to get into the club scene, but get out on fast group rides and chaingangs so you get comfortable riding fast whilst inches away from others.